Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can static cause a wrap to reoccur in the same stretch of film?

Author Topic: Can static cause a wrap to reoccur in the same stretch of film?
Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize if this subject has already been discussed, but for some reason, the search feature is not working right now.

During our late show on Saturday night, a head wrap occured during the scene in Hitch where Kevin James is in his office spilling stuff all over his desk. A 2nd layer of film had been pulled through the payout control arm and subsequent rollers, leading me to believe static was the culperit. I was also concerned that the film had gotten wet. However, the rest of the print was fine after splicing out a bad spot that had gotten chewed up in the projector during the wrap.

During the first set on Sunday, it happened again in the same area. The rest of the day, we watched the film on the platter during that spot of the movie and there was some noticable clinging for a few layers of film. We've ran it through the cleaner the past two days and I just got a call from another manager that it happened again. Any suggestions? I know that when I go in tomorrow, I'm going to carefully inspect that stretch of film and if I can't find anything wrong, maybe suggest ordering a replacement reel. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If it got wet, then that stretch of film will be sticky, and sticky film = brain wrap. Your only option short of ordering a replacement reel is to clean that section. I can personally assure you that FilmGuard will take care of that problem, but am not sure if other cleaners can due to their chemical composition. If you don't have any FilmGuard in house, but you do have something else, give it a shot. I doubt it would make things worse and the way it's going now you are looking at a replacement reel anyway, so try that first. (Technically yes you should buy a new reel whenever any film is damaged, but we all know that isn't an option at many theaters.)

Don't forget to tell Kevin James to stop spilling his drink! Clearly that's the cause. [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could imagine that, sometimes, the anti-stat coating on the film might not be properly applied, leaving a spot on the film that doesn't have static protection. However I can't see where only one small spot of film would be affected. It'd be the majority of a reel, if not the whole reel.

I'm with Brad. I hypothesize that the film has gotten wet or hasn't been dried thoroughly. Like Brad says, "FilmGuard to the rescue!" [Wink]

If you have time and IF you have the patience... IF...
You might try breaking the print down to that spot and carefully inspecting the film to see if there is any foriegn substance on it. A piece of tape or a small patch of stick-umm could wreak havoc with payout. Every time the film runs the stick-umm spreads throughout the film!

If the film has been chewed up as badly as you say, it's probably time to bite the bullet and buy a new reel. But, still, inspect the film first. You MIGHT find a reason to get the reel declared defective. You'd be off the hook then! [Smile]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had luck using WD40 to de-static prints. I would recommend it only for spot reduction only...never use head to tail.

You can also try Anti Static sheets used for laundry, just "wipe down" the print (if its plattered). Plus you get that Bounty fresh smell in your booth.

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 03:37 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we keep a box of Bounce sheets in the booth for emergencies. When static stops you(r film), get Bounce!

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 04:58 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
The problem you describe is exactly what happened to me recently with two prints.After watching both prints from start to finish I could tell you exactly what time you had to watch the print.The prints did look like static was causing the "cling".There didn't appear to be any mechanical damage to the print but I think sometimes the damage can be so slight that it is very difficult to see but it can still cause you problems.The other strange thing is running the print back through the Filmguard cleaner did not seem to fix the problem so it was difficult to believe it was static.Also down here in OZ we don't seem to have the luxury of ordering another spool or complete print-you just have to put up with the [bs] and this can happen to new release(which sometimes mean second hand from the USA).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Hanson
Ive had luck using WD40 to de-static prints. I would recommend it only for spot reduction only...never use head to tail.

NEVER use WD40 on a print. [Eek!] It contains mineral oil, which can leach the color dyes from the film. (If you wipe the oil from the film's surface with a white tissue and it looks pink, that is likely the magenta dye being leached from the print!) It also causes oil mottle.

quote: James Faber
Yeah, we keep a box of Bounce sheets in the booth for emergencies. When static stops you(r film), get Bounce!

The "Bounce" sheets contain a quarternary ammonium compound that serves as an anti-stat because it is conductive in the presence of moisture. So they can be wiped on a non-conductive platter surface to provide some conductivity and a path to ground for any static buildup. But it is probably more cost effective to use a liquid form of antistat like Staticide or Static Guard to treat non-conductive surfaces.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2005 12:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
But it is probably more cost effective to use a liquid form of antistat like Staticide or Static Guard to treat non-conductive surfaces.

Interesting on this topic. When I came to the circuit that I am presently employed, I've found cans, upon cans of Scotch "Static Guard" in each booth. I was told by these "booth employees" that they were told to spray this stuff on the prints themselves to eliminate the static cling.

I immediately got rid of all of that junk for seeing stuck-together prints being the results of such a practice. Maybe it would have worked fine if they zapped the platter surfaces (Strong) with the static spray instead of the print themselves, but I felt that by getting rid of the stuff altogether would be more practical and safer.

I had some FG around to zap the prints with since there are no media cleaners around.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: