Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New dts AUE files (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New dts AUE files
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

I found that newest DTS disk has .AUE files for reels, plus the trailer .AUD file.

Do you know why? Perhaps the encryption they announced months ago?

Bye
A

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What title? Maybe this is another lame attempt at copy protection?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-12-2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe these are the non-lossy files that the XD-10 can play (with the updated firmware that was distributed last September). A DTS 6D will play the AUD files, the XD-10 will play the AUE files. I'm not sure but the 6AD may also be able to handle the AUE files since it was required to be updated too.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-12-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both files, ".AUD" and ".AUE", are contained on the disk then it can't be a very effective form of copy protection. Assuming ."AUE" is the encrypted version of ".AUD" then having the unencrypted version on the same disk defeats the purpose.

Furthermore, I can't imagine how putting the same information on the disk in two different formats can be productive. Essentially that cuts the space on the disk by approximately half because you're writing the same data twice.

Does the ".AUE" file contain the key(s) needed for the new (supposed) anti-piracy software in the new DTS units to work? i.e.: If the ".AUE" files are not on the disk in the exact location(s), sector for sector, that the computer/software expect them to be then the system assumes the disk is copied and refuses to play.

Don't know for sure. Just guessing.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We're all guessing here Randy. However if the movie in question was the Poo Dump movie at a fabulous running time of 69 minutes, then both versions *could* possibly fit on a 2 disc set. However that is not what Antonio posted...

quote: Antonio Marcheselli
I found that newest DTS disk has .AUE files for reels, plus the trailer .AUD file.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very long engagement, 2.12 hours.

There are ONLY .AUE files, plus one file for the trailer (r14).

I wasn't able to found any useful information into the file (with an hex editor).

The disk is standard for 6/6D (well, I didn't try the disks, the movie is on a non-dts movie but the player starts correctly with these disks).

Is it possibile that they simply encoded the files that are decoded by the software before passing them through the hardware?

Bye
A

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-12-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
However that is not what Antonio posted...

Aah!! I mentally inserted an ampersand in there where one should not be. Therefore, I read:

quote:
I found that newest DTS disk has .AUE files for reels, plus the trailer & .AUD file.
When it should have read:

quote:
(I do that quite a lot, actually. I just usually catch myself. Another topic on another day, perhaps.)

The "E" in ".AUE" must stand for "Encrypted". No?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-12-2005 09:06 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"must"? Hardly!
E is the letter after D, so clearly "AUE" comes after "AUD."

They've revised the format and seen fit to change the file extension to indicate. Just what is going on, there's no way to know without looking.

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-12-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a time when type and creator codes meant something. T.L.A. file extensions actually resembled the application that created them or had some connection to the kind of data the file contained.

"TVOD" is the creator code for QuickTime Player whereas "ogle" is the creator code for Picture Viewer and "hook" is the creator code for iTunes. Nowadays, there are so many type/creator codes it's hard to know what they all mean, let alone, keep track of them.

Unless you are a developer who works with the codes a lot, how the heck are you to know that "8BIM" stands for Photoshop Elements?

Therefore, the reason I was quick to wrongly infer the meaning of the T.L.A. for the new DTS files.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2005 08:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I believe these are the non-lossy files that the XD-10 can play
Definately not as there is still only one non lossy XD-10 in operation. It would also fill quite a substantial number of disks for that format and would take as long as several days to load them onto the hard drive..... It takes about 5 to 6 hours just to load the data for a one hour length large format film. Even if it were the non-lossy files for the DTS headers it would be quite a huge file. But it may be something to do with theor captioning or blind person assisted systems.

Mark

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 09:15 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AUE files does not work anymore with the winamp plugin that can be found on Internet. Finally!

After 120 seconds a noise is mixed with the audio.

I'm happy that DTS found a way to limit the piracy, I hope that it will last for a while!

Bye
A

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-13-2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
It takes about 5 to 6 hours just to load the data for a one hour length large format film.
There must be something wrong with that computing hardware. It doesn't make sense for hardware to copy data to a hard disc at a much slower rate than the actual playback speed of the audio. I can copy a full 700MB CD image onto my computer's hard disc in only a couple minutes.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-13-2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the ecinema servers take that long to load a film title as well

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
There must be something wrong with that computing hardware. It doesn't make sense for hardware to copy data to a hard disc at a much slower rate than the actual playback speed of the audio. I can copy a full 700MB CD image onto my computer's hard disc in only a couple minutes.

Yes, but thats 6 channels of totally un-compressed audio at 96khz/24 bit. Man thats ALOT of data! It will no doubt require DVD disks and drives to accomplish it on a regular basis. The XD-10 unit installed here came loaded with the tracks for the current film just to save on time during the install! DTS has promised to reduce the load time but I haven't seem that happen yet. The fact that it works on a standard off the shelf player is great and the fact that DTS has promised to get the load time down is even better.....

I've heard of load times for D Cinema data that are as long as two days!

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-13-2005 03:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I guess still don't understand why the load times are so excruciatingly long. Granted, I know you're dealing with at least several gigabytes of data and tranferring it from an optical disc drive that isn't anywhere near as fast as a hard disc.

Still, it doesn't make sense for that process to take a few hours unless there are other operations happening to the data as it gets transferred. I'm using a four year old Dell PC and it only takes me about 20 minutes to burn a DVD-R disc and less time than that to copy the data off a DVD-R to the hard disc. Do you think there might be some extra authentication stuff going on in that data transfer process?

With those load times being so long, they border on being impractical. I would certainly wonder if there might be some kind of savings made by simply using portable large capacity hard discs for delivering things like D-Cinema content. Cost per gigabyte favors portable hard discs over optical discs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: