Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Printing Faults in Cellular and The Aviator

Author Topic: Printing Faults in Cellular and The Aviator
Dick Twentyman
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Dick Twentyman   Email Dick Twentyman       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noted flashes of coloured dots in "Cellular", about 65 minutes from the start?

Also, we have noticed occasional "shadows" during dark scenes in our print of "The Aviator", occurring about 125 minutes from start. Imagine a fade out to black, and imagine a rogue foil stuck mid frame during the black. That is the sort of effect on the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-11-2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Twentyman
Has anyone else noted flashes of coloured dots in "Cellular", about 65 minutes from the start?
Sounds like CRAP code to me. [Mad]

-Aaron

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed strange coloration in the first three reels of Aviator. The plants were very blue. The grass on the golf course was blue and the shadow areas under the trees were red. At first I thought it was supposed to be an interpretation of older filming techniques, but when it goes into reel four, the color instantly comes alive and looks fine. Miramax said that they didn't have any more reels and I would just have to live with it. [Mad] Plus they couldn't verify if that's the way it should be or not. [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2005 10:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The overall colour tint is probably either a filterpac misaligned or a printed light out

Ivo Noorlander
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Ivo Noorlander   Email Ivo Noorlander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Balko
At first I thought it was supposed to be an interpretation of older filming techniques
It is. For the first part of the film the 2 color Technicolor process has been recreated digitally. Later on(apparently in reel 4) they made the film look like 3 strip Technicolor.

This coincides with the rise of Howard Hughes' success.

More information in The American Cinematographer ( American Cinematographer Web Site )

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm a dumbass! I just stumbled on the whole color thing over in "Reviews". F#$@, I hate it when I can answer my own questions. [Roll Eyes]

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still, whether you're right or wrong, I don't like their answer that you'll just have to "live with it" because they're out of reels.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: