Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor's latest approach to ads?

Author Topic: Technicolor's latest approach to ads?
Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I noticed my shipment of ads this time around had some newly designed affidavits and new instructions. While I was glad to see they finally made an attempt to improve the affidavit form layout (and even used one of my suggestions), I couldn't help being still very frustrated with some poor design choices.

First, they now want us to ship the old ads back along with the forms in the original box. Problem is they don't send any plastic cores for those ads. How exactly do I break them down without any cores? I use my own to break them down when I recycle them on the next prints, but I certainly couldn't ship them back with my cores on them or I'd run out after the first 2 weeks. What to do? I thought about cramming them into a big tangled ball inside the box and attaching a note suggesting they send us cores next time.

Next, the affidavit is still poorly designed. Notice the ad slots at the bottom want the actual part numbers, then on the movie entry line they only give you enough room to enter one part number. Ummm... there's no way you can fit half a dozen different serial numbers in that little box. Flat out impossible. On top of all that, they keep numbering the screens for you. Have they not heard of doubling up prints on one screen? I end up having to use white-out to erase their screen numbers and hand-write in the correct ones for each print entry.

Is anyone else dealing with these flawed forms? How are you handling them?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The proper solution is to just not run ads. That's what I do.

I suppose a reasonable second option is just to pop the cores out before you return the film. Heck, you don't receive them on cores anyway, right? [Wink]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 10:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of throwing them in the box all tangled up. Makes me wish I still ran ads. [Wink]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

That's what I came up with as my only option, but its kind of difficult in that the cores don't easily pop out for me. I'd have to go back and hammer into everyone that they must "loosely" wind the ads as opposed to the usual speed-winding method they learned from who knows how long ago. Either way, I'm in for difficult time ahead.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The knurled tension nut on the "dead" side of a Kelmar RTV-8900 rewind bench is the exact same diameter as a film core.

Pop out the mandrell so you don't have to poke yourself in the stomach and put your body weight against the table as you place the core of the trailer over the shaft that sticks out of the clutch plate. Give a quick pull and the core will pop right out.

If your people use tape to rewind trailers on the cores, the tail of the film will come out too but, since the film is essentially trash, it doesn't matter much if you scratch it up a bit.

If your trailers aren't wound too tight the cores will just pop right out. Even if you wind them "pretty tight" you should be able to get them out.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 01:46 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the forms seem superfulous. I also don't like the little room we have to write down the information they want. My question is if they merely recycle the film? If so, why not put as many trailers on one core as I can or just toss all the film in the box? I have tons of cores...but eventually, we'll run out.

Brad, I wish we didn't have to run ads...you're blessed!

AJG

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Good ol "Rolling Stock" . 20 minutes of this BS on large circuit screens, using good ol sticky Agfa Gavert film stock.

Course, on a side topic of the mention of the Kelmar tables: The motor end, having the same spindle hub assembly as the free wheel end, does wonders in winding old trailers on those small cores if one doesn't have a trailer core winder.

-Monte

[ 06-15-2005, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 10:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always buy cores: [Wink]

http://www.fpchollywood.com/cores-3--cores.html

quote:
Clean, durable and precise, Kodak cores are in demand throughout the Motion Picture Industry.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 12:02 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So could Technicolor if they really cared about their film.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason for the returning is that if they just send out the ads ... they essentially "sold" the ad and have to charge sales tax to the advertisers ... if they get the physical media back ... no sales tax is required. Plus, it's a good way of seeing if the theatres are actually running what they are being paid to run ... if you get back a box of unused ads ... something's fishy.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tip of questionably utility: If you wrap a piece of paper around the core before winding film on it, it is easier to slide the core out.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless film is wound on a core or reel, it is very likely to cinch. Use a core, unless the film is just going back for recycling.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 01:55 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I learn more from you every time you post. Thanks!

jhawk,
Great idea. Thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: