Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar 6000' reel arm question

Author Topic: Kelmar 6000' reel arm question
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I just went to switch my spindels out tonight to put in the 1/2 inch ones and noticed when I was finished the bottom arm had a slight amount of slack. I mean you can pull on the back of it and it'll move back about 1/4 of an inch. Did I leave something off somehow?

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the model reel you are using, there can be slack. This doesn't affect operation, so you're fine.

The biggest offender to that seems to be the 2000 foot Goldberg cast iron reels. Is that what you are using?

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, thank you for the prompt reply. The arm does work fine, but I just wanted to make sure everything was ok. I tried it with a 6000' reel and it still does it. The slack is actually between the spindel shaft and the reel arm...that is why I wasn't sure.

Thank you,

Cody

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 07:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You have it with a 6000 footer? Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound right. I was assuming your reel movement was based upon an overside "hole" for the drive pin to go into, as is the case on the 2000 foot Goldberg reels. What kind of reels are you using?

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reels I'm using are 6000' Goldberg floating hub reels. I don't know if it's possible that somehow I'm not putting the spindels in right. I took the old one off, and swapped the new one in. The locking pin that you put on after the brake pad sticks out about 1/8 of an inch farther than the last metal plate. This would be a problem except when you put the spring on the pin gets in the way of the spring and it won't press the plate against the brake pad. Is there a spacer that goes in here somewhere? Does anyone have a diagram of how to switch the shafts?

Thanks,
cody

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a picture or a set of those in front of me, I'm afraid I can't be of more assistance. Hopefully one of the changeover gurus of the forum that are familiar with these arms will be by shortly.

By the way, are they the square black arms, or the grey "T" shape arms?

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 09:04 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cody,
If those are Kelmar reel arms, there is a front and a rear bearing that the spindel shaft goes through. If there is slack in the spindle shaft, it sounds like the front bearing is either missing or badly worn.

Don

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 05:52 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,

Thank you all for your help. These are the grey t shaped arms. I checked the bearings in the spindel holder and they are fine. When you assemble the shaft it goes in like this right ( shaft(spindel holder) belt pulley, brake pad,locking pin, back plate). This is exactly how I have put it in the spindel arm and it just seems like there is about a 1/4 inch of extra space between the spindel arm and shaft. Is there a spacer in here? Does anyone have a manual they could post?

Thanks,
cody

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar 7000
Check to be sure the shaft pin (#2 on the drawing) is in the slot on the disk and not just jammed into the felt. That will give you the symptom you describe.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found the problem. The bearing spacer was put on the wrong side of the pulley for the belt.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cody

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: