Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brain Wraps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Brain Wraps
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre, when it originally opened in July, started off using a Potts platter. We run a single screen theatre and are able to run changeovers for press screenings and trade screenings. In August our platter broke and since we had little money at the time, etc. we just decided to run changeovers until the owner got someone to fix the platter. Cut to 1 week ago and we finally got the platter working. Back in August I wasn't working the booth but I do remember the projectionist having a brain wrap and it was pretty serious and I never found out how it got fixed.

I now run the booth and have a question to you all. What are some of the main causes of brain wraps and what are some things that can be done to quickly fix the problem and keep the show running without having to cancel it?

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the main problems of Brain Wraps are thus:

A jumped roller (cause of operator error)
Static on the film causing the film to jump a roller.
Sticky Print (cause of bad splicing tape, and more.)
Slow motor, or fast motor (cause of poorly adjusted feedout motor)

The first thing you want to find out is what direction the brain warp happened, did the platter stop moving and continue to warp that way, or did it continue to spin, and wrap forward.
Once you have got that figured out, you want to take an spin the platter in the opposite direction. If the brain warp is so that you can't see the brain, you are gonna want to cut the film, and go from there.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the Potts platters there are several causes to brain wraps.

First the obvious operator error:
-Misthread through the brain rollers.
-Motor left disengaged after breaking down a film.

Next Equipment Malfunctions:
-Bad variac adjustment.
-Bad microswitch in the brain.
-Damaged film that sticks together.

Acts of Nature
-Static (from dry air)
-Dirt

Most of the time I think you will find that it is operator error. It is a good idea to check up on it occassionally during the show.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-09-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Potts platter.

My vote for the number one cause of brain wraps & film interruptions is forgetting to re-engage the motors under the platters.

If you forget to re-engage the payout, you will get a "strangulation" brain wrap because the platter isn't giving out film.

If you forget to re-engage the takeup platter, you will get film piling up on the floor under the projector until, ultimately, the failsafe stops the projector. (Hopefully!)

If you misthread the brain, you'll probably see a situation where the payout platter spins too fast and you get a backlash of film wrapping backwards around the brain.

In any case, one thing about Potts platters is that they often take a minute or two for the problem to get bad enough to jam the film. It can lull you into a false sense of security. The projector and film seems to be running OK. You start to walk away and all hell breaks loose.

Of course, you want to always double check your film before you start the projector but, if you have Potts, it pays to get in the habit of double checking and TRIPLE checking the entire film path!

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potts suck! [Razz]
Get a Strong [beer]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 02:52 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Potts suck!
Get a Strong

Personally I hate them both. Sure the Strong platters are superior but still, same layout...I prefer Christies.

Anyhow, in my experience:
The number one cause is forgetting to re-engage the payout platter after it takes up a show.
Once I actually watched a brainwrap start when one of those rollers on the sides of the brain litterally FELL OFF...Apparantly maintenance wasn't really in the dictionary of the previous booth manager at that place.
Anyhow, as a result the film jumped over the edge of the base plate and got caught and slowed down.

On other platter systems I've seen a single sided splice in a trailer pack wrap a show.
Tail tucking can also be an issue. If I remember correctly, tucking the tail with the soundtrack sticking side sticking out from under the roll, for some reason, causes the tail to curl and lift up over the edge near the end of the last reel.
And on all platters sticking the tail too far under, coupled with static, can cause the tail to get tangled in the brain.

Basically, here's the idea to follow:
Run FilmGuard on your prints. Even if you just coat the edges, that alone will reduce wear and tear on the prints AND keep your static down.

Keep an eye on your humidity. There's several topics on this site about that. Just search it.

Maintain your platters. Keep everything clean, properly fastened, and timed if applicable.

And finally, make it second nature to double check the motors EVERY show.

G'luck.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 08:19 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Potts suck!
Get a Strong

Hey, Potts and Strong platters are both built by an outfit called "Design and Manufacture" I was under the impression that they were about 98% identical. I own and operate a Potts, and I recently installed two Strongs at a neighboring theater. They operate the same. (At least the platters equipped with micro switch brains do)

I've only had two brain wraps on my Potts in 8 years, and both were caused by improper threading of the brain by a sloppy projectionist. If you take a look at the platter for a minute or so after starting the feature and before leaving the booth, most brain wraps can be quickly remedied. As for static causing a wrap..... Try FilmGuard!

Steve Hart

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

I have to agree with you. Although Christies and Specos are superior in many ways, Potts/Strong platters aren't all that bad... PROVIDED you are a conscientous operator.

There are some things I would change about them but they aren't the film grinders some people make them out to be. You just have to pay attention.

But... You SHOULD be paying attention anyway! No?!

Therefore, any reasonably intelligtent operator with proper training and work ethic should have no trouble operating a Strong/Potts platter.

<humor>
Taking the above into consideration, I put forth that anybody who says Strong/Potts platters suck is really saying that THEY are a sucky operator! [Big Grin]
</humor>

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Strong platters. While I have been back in the business for only six months I have never had a brain wrap. That's because I always double-check EVERYTHING before I start the projector. A couple of times I caught the film in a position in the brain that would have caused a brain-wrap if I had started the machine. I believe the chief cause is operator error. Threading a platter and projector speedily serves absolutely no useful purpose. If one misses a start time or has a stop-down the audience can wait a few more seconds while the machine is threaded properly.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem is managers running the booth.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
One problem is managers running the booth.
I can sympathise with that comment in general, but it is not really accurate. The problem is untrained or uncaring PEOPLE running the booth. Whether they are titled as a manager or a projectionist doesn't matter. It's still operator error.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-10-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steven J Hart
Hey, Potts and Strong platters are both built by an outfit called "Design and Manufacture" I was under the impression that they were about 98% identical.
Design & Manufacturing, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ballantyne Of Omaha, thus "Potts" platters ARE "Strongs" for all intents and purposes. [Smile]

-Aaron

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The problem is untrained or uncaring PEOPLE running the booth. Whether they are titled as a manager or a projectionist doesn't matter.
Brad, I agree 100%. I'm the manager of my small theater and also the chief projectionist. I think you'll find that many of the small non-chain theaters have the same situation. If the show doesn't run - or stops - its me who has to tell the patrons why they can't see the rest of the show. Thats incentive for me to try to not only put on the best presentation I can, but also to give my patrons the most reliable service. Lumping all managers into a non-caring group of penny pinchers is not fair.

Steve

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,
I only said that Potts platters suck!! [Wink]

Rick

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Randy,
I only said that Potts platters suck!!

Yet in reality, they BOTH do! [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: