Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I am needing a 35mm film projector

Author Topic: I am needing a 35mm film projector
Al Hopfer
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Al Hopfer   Email Al Hopfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a vendor looking for a 35mm projector to experiment with DTS Time Code reading.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Al

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go look in the Equipment for Sale forum

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-07-2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also want to specify what type of machine you want (or, at least, if you want a small, semi-portable machine for home use or a full-size theatre machine) and how much you want to spend on it (if price is a concern).

And, yes, this should go in the For Sale/Wanted forum if you know what you want and are ready to buy. This forum is really intended for discussion and, thus, this sort of request doesn't really belong here unless you are looking for suggestions about what type of equipment to get.

Al Hopfer
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Al Hopfer   Email Al Hopfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have no idea what I want.

My company is Custom Engineering & Programming.

I am working with another company in a area requiring DTS time code (reading) experimentation.

The projector needs to play full feature films (including new released films) with of course DTS t.c. track.

Question: What films do NOT have DTS t.c. ?

Question: Do films have time code (other then DTS?)

I am also receiving help from DTS, who will be supplying equipment and a projector; but I am looking for more sources of projectors (including 70mm eventually)...

I am also looking for sources of experience and even anyone who might what to get involved in the Park Ridge IL area (near Chicago....)

I know very little about the technology of feature film; but I am leaning fast. Its facinating; and I am about to jump in with both feet in the deep end (as we speak)...

Al

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Al Hopfer
Question: What films do NOT have DTS t.c. ?

A lot of the artsy type films may not have the timecodes. Pretty much all of the mainstream films have timecode.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and I am about to jump in with both feet in the deep end (as we speak)...

...just get the "float ring of the forum" on before you do..for there is a ton of info that we can share with you on this search so you won't "drown" at the beginning of the plunge.

True, the "INDIEs/Art" films are more rare in having the DTS track encoded on their prints due to the budget that these studios have to stay in with.

Projectorwise, even a portable 35mm unit (like a Kinoton, or a Holmes) could fit the bill for your company pertaining to experimentations.

-Monte

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2005 06:41 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al,

I varies what sound formats some films are mixed in. Most have Dolby digital and DTS sound formats Printed on them. Some also have Sony SDDS on them too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2005 02:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Do films have time code (other then DTS?)

No. DTS is the only one of the digital sound systems that uses timecode. The other systems (Sony and Dolby) have the actual soundtrack printed directly on the film.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-08-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a job for Steve Kraus...

--jhawk

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually both the sony and srd bitstream contain SMPTE timecode which can also be printed onto a film if desired

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Sounds like a job for Steve Kraus...

Hardly! I would however refer him to James Bond at Full Aperature Systems in Chicago. Jim has lots of projectors and is THE most knowledgable guy(left in Chicago [Wink] ) in Chicago on 35 or 70mm projectors....

Mark @ CLACO

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 06:09 AM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if this has been resolved or not, but in addition to giving James Bond the very highest of reccomendations, I would also suggest the excellent Justin Dennis of Kinora Audio/Visuals .(www.kinoraav.com) He's a good man, and thorough.

BTW, Mark, your name and an old 847 telephone number is written with marker on my booth wall under an old contact number for James...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you made some contacts Nathan. I'm not surprised you found my number on a booth wall.... I did alot of service in the city back then. Can't say that I miss going through all that traffic to do those calls!. Good,luck with your endeavors.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: