Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Print needed of Walkabout

Author Topic: Print needed of Walkabout
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 06:21 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following earlier pleas for Jenny Agutter prints to screen during The Bradford Film Festival we are still trying to find a print of Walkabout.

having tried all the usual routes distributors,BFI and NFTVA etc we have drawn a blank.

Anything out there anywhere? transport costs will be covered as well as screening fees

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-03-2005 07:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was reissued recently in the US. Not sure who has the rights/prints, but I know that the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA. played it. They had trailers for it, too.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not try a post on the AMIA listserve? This sort of query usually gets a prompt response as people from the main archives and art/rep distributors tend to read it.

BTW, is the Mag Men print you're showing the pink one which Darren sometimes shows or the new print which played in Los Angeles last year?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 08:14 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo do you need to be a member to post on there?

MMITFM is our usual print. THe "new prints" in the programme should be
HELLO DOLLY
DR DOLITTLE
SOUND OF MUSIC
AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Subject to final confirmation

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to be a subscriber to the list, but not a paid up member of AMIA. Would you like me to post the query on your behalf?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is huge longshot, but drop a line to Sarah Finlea at Janus Films in New York, at sarah@criterionco.com. In North America, Walkabout was last handled by Films Incorporated thru Kit Parker, when they folded most of their old FI titles went to Janus.

Also, Criterion Pictures in Toronto has a 35mm print, but whether either of these leads helps you across the pond is another story. Good luck!

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dick.

You should find a fairly recent print at the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra (Australia) Catalogue is available on their website at www.screensound.gov.au I think it was restored as part of the Kodak/Atlab collection. We ran it here a couple of years ago and it was in good condition. AR is 1.85 and sound is Dolby SR-D.

Phil.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2005 06:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philip/ Mark

Thanks for the leads which are being followed up

Leo

Thanks for the offer that would be great [thumbsup]

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran this film in July. Mark is correct, Janus Films was our distributor. The print was in very good condition.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,

About 2 years ago Potential Films or Chapel Films (same group just two different arms) here in OZ (Melbourne actually) re released this film on a new print and it was the Directors cut version.
I believe that they still have a copy in their library.
They can be contacted at www.potentialfilms.com
The bloke to talk to there is Mark Spratt.
Phone contact is: +61 3 9328 5040
His Email is: potfilms@ozemail.com.au

I guess the freight from Australia to UK would be horrific but if you are really stuck it is worth a go particularly as it was a brand new print in the updated version.
The print held at ScreenSound could be an older one as I do not think Kodak & Atlab have yet got around to reprinting that one.

Lindsay

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately WALKABOUT is not included in the Kodak/Atlab collection of prints at the National Film and Sound Archive - and so far as I can tell they have no holdings of that film.

Would be very ineresting to know what negative materials Chapel Films used for theor print a couple of years ago.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops! Sorry for the furphy. That would also make me wrong about the sound format, which would have been Mono for the original release, and on surviving pre-print material.

Does anybody remember a telemovie called "The Hands of Cormack Joyce", shot in Victoria in the early 1970's, which featured Jenny Agutter?

Further apologies in advance, in case the retrospectascope really has gone bung.

Phil.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 04:33 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsay

thanks for that lead. We have been in touch with Mark and this looks promising.

thanks to everyone else for their suggestions Much appreciated [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: