Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Filmguard and Sticky Prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Filmguard and Sticky Prints
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 04:00 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used Filmguard for over a year now and I have been very happy with the results.Lately though I have had a spate of prints that have been "sticky" in places and a couple of serious brain wraps.Running the prints through the cleaner again does not resolve the problems.What could be causing the problems?Can you put too much Filmguard on a print?We normally clean a print as soon as it is made up and most prints get an extra clean at least once a week(we only have one cleaner for 3 screens).Problem prints have been sticky in places from the first run(some of the prints wre new and some used).

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2005 04:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they sticky because of polyester static cling or because of some contaminant on the film surface (e.g. projector oil from having been run through a leaky mech at a previous theatre)? If it's cling I can't see how FG would make any difference one way or the other. If there's some sort of goo on the film I've found that FG can be very effective at dissolving it, but you do need to wipe the whole lot off afterwards. Hand cleaning the affected reels on a bench with a lint-free cloth (e.g. a Selvyt) before plattering them and running them through the FG-impregnated media pads might be something to try.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 04:32 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leo
It appears to be static cling,I need to get a magnifying glass so i can inspect the problem areas a lot closer(my eyes aren't that great-something to do with getting old I'm told).We have tried using part of a media pad with filmguard on it to hand clean the problem area without much success.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds quite strange to me...I'm sure Brad will be along with an answer soon.

It seems to me that a heavy run of FilmGuard plus edge coating the roll with FG would take care of any static or shedding problems. As well as most anything stuck to it.

Take a look and let us know what it is.

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat related story I have...last January we had a sneak of "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" that had numerous spots in the last 3 reels that were "sticky". What the substance was, I'm not sure, but it was as if the last person breaking it down was drinking soda at the same time and spilled it on the print in spots [thumbsdown] Somehow I didnt spot this upon bulidup.

So naturally, during the sneak Friday night, its wrapping like crazy, to the point where I was sitting there babysitting the last few reels just to prevent more. Rough night, to say the least.

Anyways, my point is that we had another sneak Sunday, and my GM told me to figure out a way to fix it by then. So basicaly I broke it down slowly, and whenever I encountered a sticky spot, I used Film Guard and cleaning media to clean it off, and it worked quite well. Played through fine for the Sunday sneak. Ian your problem is obviously a bit different, though I am surprised that applying Film Guard didnt really help. I'm sure Brad or someone will be of some assistance...best of luck though!

Brent Neal Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Brent Neal Jones   Email Brent Neal Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try spraying directly on the affected area, I think you'll be suprised. Wasted Film-Guard is better than a brain wrap, I promise it works.

Next, What brand of equipment do you have? Do you have a "climate controlled booth? When did this start? Let's try to narrow this thing down...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-03-2005 01:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just guessing here:

If you apply F.G. by the regular method, it can dissolve all kinds of icky goo that finds its way onto film but it might not get completely REMOVED.

Even WITH F.G. you might have to manually clean the film with a soft cloth/pad soaked in F.G. Otherwise you might be left with patches of partially dissolved goo on the film which COULD cause wraps at inopportune moments.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-04-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..wonder if a "green" print would be causing this stickiness? Just soft emulsion of sorts. - Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-04-2005 02:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll work magic on green prints. I've had many that were shipped literally straight from the lab and ran less than 12 hours after they were processed.

Ian, please describe your method of application. I can offer more assistance knowing the specifics of your situation.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad
We have one cleaning unit that we have attached to a portable MUT that we always use for making prints up.Once the print is made up we run it through the cleaner onto the platter.We also re-clean every print (1-2 times) each week by running it back onto the mut and then through the cleaner at the next showing.I do plan on making mounting plates so we can attach the cleaner to the platter trees(3 screens)so we don't have to run them back onto the MUT.The other problem I have in the projection room is too much humidity in the summer months.We live in a sub-tropical area that can average 80-100% humidity for most of the summer.I have to have some major work done on our A/C plant soon so we will be adding more ducting into the projection room to try and alleviate that part of the problem.We only have problems with the two Speco platters-very rare that we get a brain-wrap on the AW3 even with a sticky print.We seemed to have had very few problems for quite a while then it seemed every second print had to be watched due static or stickiness

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-06-2005 09:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Bailey
We seemed to have had very few problems for quite a while then it seemed every second print had to be watched due static or stickiness

..wonder if it's a lab issue then - quality taking a bit of a nosedive to the ocean. - Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-07-2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt if it is a lab issue. The specos have a painted non conductive platter deck which is shy they are more prone to static buildup

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-07-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is indeed "static cling", a good path to ground is important, even for Kodak VISION Color Print Film with it's conductive anti-static backing layer. For non-conductive platter surfaces, consider spraying the platter with a conductive anti-stat (e.g., Staticide, Static Guard, Endust for Electronics, etc.), or use a conductive "platter mat" or disk on the platter.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John
I think your comments about the platter grounding is part of our problem.We sit all our prints on Masonite sheets so we can easily move them.The print pays out off a maonite sheet and takes back up onto a masonite sheet on the take-up platter.So our prints never touch a grounded surface.My AW3 is the only platter I have with bare metal decks-my two Specos have painted decks.I prefer to use the masonite sheets as it makes print moving very easy and safe and my AW3 has fixed brains which makes it that much more difficult to add or remove prints on the platter.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too good with the theories of electricity, but isn't the projector grounded?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: