Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A Conversation with Bill Doeren of Kodak Digital Cinema

Author Topic: A Conversation with Bill Doeren of Kodak Digital Cinema
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-02-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the current issue of "Digital Cinema Report":

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/qabilldoeren.html

quote:
A Conversation with Bill Doeren
General Manager, Kodak Digital Cinema

Bill Doeren is general manager of Kodak Digital Cinema, one of four key strategic product groups in Entertainment Imaging, the Kodak unit that serves the motion picture, television, and commercial production industries. He has had more than twenty-five years experience in the Exhibition business, worldwide, with senior management roles in AMC, MGM and General Cinema, among others...

...DCR: How is Kodak involved in digital technology for the cineplex?

Doeren: For digital pre-show applications, we are the world’s leading independent supplier of systems and services. The Kodak Digital Cinema Pre-Show Solution includes high-quality hardware driven by unique Kodak software, and supported by Kodak’s worldwide service organization. We have installed Kodak systems on more than 600 screens, with hundreds more in the ‘que’. We remotely monitor all systems – and diagnose potential problems – for very high standards of reliability.

Kodak-prepared and delivered content is seen by millions of movie-goers each month. Over the past year, based on our market experience and customer requests, we’ve introduced six major new software releases, to add further features and functionality to our system.

At ShowEast, we introduced the Kodak Digital Cinema Solution for Feature Presentations – a full menu of choices based on a unique CineServer, designed and developed by Kodak. This system will be available on a ‘standalone’ or ‘networked’ basis and will support projectors up to 2K resolution. As standards continue to evolve, we will support those, also.

|  IP: Logged

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good post John. I haven't been registered here for too long; but by what I've seen John post- I'm most impressed. It appears as though he has a great amount of true expert answers, advice, and commentary. Keep up the good work John.

I could also never realy challenge the character or credability of someone who has that type of industry position with a Kodak Digital Cinema, but... A few things struck me as unusual when I read the quote from the Kodak employee.

For digital pre-show applications
What exactly does that terminology mean??

we’ve introduced six major new software releases
All of that in one year? Thats almost as bad as Windows? Are all of these full version or updates? Wonder how long exactly they are supported?

We remotely monitor all systems – and diagnose potential problems
Could this be similar to remote network/remote server, or is it something much less high tech?

In conclusion- good article; but it also leaves quite a few questions as well.

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 05:35 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interview says alot but tells nothing. You would not want to disclose your future business strategy.

In the future I can not see why you would have a separate advertising system and a cinema system.

today
film and film
film and digital advertising

future
all digital
or
film and digital advertising

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: