Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Film Stock Question

Author Topic: Kodak Film Stock Question
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got film here that appears to be a 1950 vintage Safety reprint of what was originally a 1943 nitrate feature.

The edge code (black lettering) is marked as:

-

My question is, although the entire film is clearly marked as "SAFETY FILM", I cut off a piece of the leader (same edge markings) and ignited it. It burned quite nicely, and completely, something I'm not used to seeing with "SAFETY FILM".

Is this really safety film? Is it safe to run this on a modern open projector?

This is really a question for John Pytlak, but anyone who has info on this film stock is welcome to pipe in.

PS.

Yes, I mis-spelled SAFETY in the graphic. It's spelled correctly on the film.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-01-2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
I cut off a piece of the leader (same edge markings) and ignited it. It burned quite nicely, and completely, something I'm not used to seeing with "SAFETY FILM".
Does that mean that you often cut off a piece of the print to see if it burns? [Eek!]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-01-2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All film will burn slightly, even "safety film". The question is when you lit it, did it burst into flames or just quietly sit there and sort-of burn a little bit?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-02-2005 04:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed - triacetate burns with roughly the same intensity as paper. However, this print could still be nitrate. This is a well-known issue with elements produced around the time of the conversion (the danger zone is roughly 1948-55).

Remember - a safety internegative can be (and was) printed onto nitrate release print stock, and vice-versa. It's not uncommon to find both a 'safety' and a 'nitrate' edge mark on the same element. The Hollywood studios and most US and British labs went over to triacetate for b/w camera and intermediate stock almost as soon as it became widely available in winter 1948/spring 1949, whereas for release printing the conversion took a lot longer. There were a number of reasons for this. For example, existing inventories of stock needed to be used up and there were teething troubles at the projection booth end, notably the fact that acetate splicing needed a different formulation of cement from nitrate splicing. It wasn't until February 1950 that Kodak announced that they were stopping the manufacture of nitrate print stock completely, and of course the stuff remained in circulation for a lot longer.

As a general rule, if the edge marking on a print is opaque against a clear background, that means it is original or from an earlier generation interpositive. If it is clear against an opaque stripe (sometimes quite a faint one), it has been printed on from an earlier generation of negative (usually an intermediate but sometimes the camera original). If step printing has been involved along duplication chain, one or more sets of edge markings will not have been copied. Incidentally, that's why archivists will create preservation dupes by continuous contact printing if at all possible: that way you preserve the edge marking information, which can be very useful to have (e.g. date code, stock manufacturer, batch identification).

The upshot is that it's very possible to have a safety release print from the late '40s/early '50s in which the only visible edge mark says 'nitrate' and vice-versa. The only way to be safe is to check. Personally I find that nitrate has a distinctive 'musty' or 'mothball' smell which is virtally impossible to miss, but I guess it might not be so obvious for people who don't handle nitrate very often.

Michael: I can't see anything wrong with the burn test if it's just done on a little bit of spacing from either end of the reel. The only caveat is to be sure that the spacing is of the same stock as the element being tested, i.e. it hasn't been spliced on or is something different. The only other reliable nitrate test I know of is the 'float test', which involves taking a punching of film and placing it in a test tube containing trichloroethylene. As nitrate has a higher specific gravity than this stuff, if it's nitrate it'll sink. If it's any sort of acetate, it'll float. The burning test, however, avoids the need for potentially dangerous chemicals.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-02-2005 05:34 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Kodak's publication about nitrate film:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pdfs/H182.pdf

Even though the black edgeprint says "Safety Film", I would still verify through testing, as it was in the transition time. Also, until recently, Kodak put a dye in triacetate film base that would glow under ultraviolet light, to aid in identification. By illuminating the roll with ultraviolet light in a darkened room, you could see if there was a mix of nitrate and safety film in the same roll.

A triangle and plus date code could be 1950:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/h1/identificationP.shtml#135427

quote:
Until 1982, the date code was comprised of two symbols except for the following years: 1916, a circle; 1917, a square; 1918, a triangle; and 1929, a plus sign. For 1928 and 1948, three circles were used to identify the year of manufacture.
Date codes were repeated every twenty years until 1982. For example, the same symbols appear on film manufactured in 1921, 1941, 1961 and 1981. In 1982, a third symbol was added allowing for many more years of unique date coding.

The other markings are likely slitter and strip number codes.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 07:45 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John, I'll check it out with an ultraviolet light tonight. It is definately 1950 vintage.

Brad, it did not go up like flash paper, as nitrate tends to, but it did burn completly like old dried out paper (thanks Leo) leaving nothing but ash.

Michael, no picture or sound frames were burned, just a section of countdown leader that had sufficient sprocket damage that it needed to be removed anyway.

Leo, the print is marked "NITRATE" in white (clear) letters on one side, and "SAFTEY FILM" in black letters on the other. Being that this was originally an 1943 release, I am assuming that the white nitrate is a print thru from the negative.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-02-2005 08:18 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use the ultraviolet light, try to have known samples of nitrate and triacetate film from that era, so you can compare the level of glow seen on the safety film.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-02-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Leo, the print is marked "NITRATE" in white (clear) letters on one side, and "SAFTEY FILM" in black letters on the other. Being that this was originally an 1943 release, I am assuming that the white nitrate is a print thru from the negative.
Agreed - I would guess from an interneg.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first found out about 35mm nitrate film when I was ten years of age. Some junk shops used to sell 1 foot lengths for one penny for the purpose of making smoke and stink bombs by screwing up a few frames in newspaper. The smoke was created by stamping on the bomb immediately the film ignited.

When I started working as a trainee projectionist in 1952, all new releases were on safety stock by then. Nitrate stock was being used up on newsreel and documentary films, and was still in wide use until at least 1955 with old films for separate Sunday programmes, and Saturday morning kid’s shows.

I have witnessed two nitrate fires, the most serious one was when the fire managed to go into the top spool box in spite of the fire trap rollers and automatic Pyrene fire extinguishers which were set off with gun cotton fuses. I always considered the BTH open projectors had the best fire prevention, which guillotined the film before the top and bottom spool boxes.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dangerous thing about nitrate is that it generates it's own oxygen as it burns. Acetate will burn, but if the fire hits the roll of film, in most cases, the fire will go out, because it cannot get enough oxygen to keep burning. If a fire reaches a roll of nitrate, RUN. If you have some "junk" nitrate, take about 10 feet of it, and roll it up into a small roll. Light it, and stand back. I did this one time, a three foot flame shot out of the roll, and it sounded like a rocket taking off.

I tried burning a short strip of both types of film, and there was not much difference in the way the strips burned. It was just when a roll of film is involved that there is a BIG difference.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2005 05:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and because nitrate combustion generates its own oxygen, storing it in an airtight compartment is even more dangerous than in a vented one. Should it ignite inside an airtight container which is sealed under any significant pressure, the rapidly expanding gases as the film burns will cause it to blow up. That's why the term 'fireproof' is a bit of a red herring where nitrate is concerned: if the film burns all you can do is manage the combustion in a way which minimises risk and damage. You can't stop it.

The nitrate stores at the BFI/NFTVA's Berkhamstead site consist of small compartments, about twice the size of a 'phone box, with airtight doors and glass ceilings. Above the ceilings are tanks containing several hundred gallons of water. If a fire breaks out the ceiling will shatter and the water will be released into the vault. The thinking behind the water is that while it won't put the fire out, it will reduce the heat level and thereby reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in the adjacent vaults, and also possibly prevent all the reels inside the affected compartment from going up (a water damaged reel can be rescued; a burnt one cannot).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: