Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter Preferences--CFS Super Platter or anything else (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Platter Preferences--CFS Super Platter or anything else
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-01-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think the CFS platters rule the world. They are 10 times better than any other platter and 16 times better than changeovers. Dont even try to change my mind about this. I was trained on these platters, so they must be the best. Nuff said.

Me and my CFS platters [thumbsup]

You and whatever you use [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the Simplex Airomatic platter or the Applied Energy Rank (the green turds) rule they are only eclipsed by the EPRAD platter with the line shaft up the middle [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-01-2005 03:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly Jeremy has been smoking some opaque tape !

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
No the Simplex Airomatic platter
Naw, those airomatic platters stink big time..... the remains of one is sitting in the Kaysville, UT cinema and it does still run.

CFS.... you mean "Stupid Platters".......the VERY worst of the worst and I'll take the Air-o-matic platter any day over any "Stupid Platter"....at least you have the novelty of the air drive motors.... [Cool] .

Brad, I think Jeremey needs to be temporarily banned till he learns to love AW-3s.

Mark

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jeremy that depends on what you are talking about. If you want to know my preference of platters for a giant sized Frizbee then the Super Patters have my vote. They have nice straight edges that should cut down the wind resistance. If you mean to run film on however then I wouldn't trust Super Platters to run a Gigli trailer on. [evil]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 03:02 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never worked with super platters and have heard many bad things about them. However, Jeremy likes them and he liked Anchorman, so the only logical conclusion that I can come to is that super platters are great. [Razz]

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're great! They suck!
Are we back in Junior High now?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally, I think that CFS super platters suck balls

....just kidding, I've never used them

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, "Stupid platters" .. goofiest damned things ever created. And I though those air-driven ones were goofy-hearing those "taking off" every time the brain switch opened up. You need to work with a Super to understand what we all talk about. (YEECH!)

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-03-2005 02:47 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly this is way above a number of heads. Super Platters kick ass.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-03-2005 03:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..I think Jeremy wanted to "stir up a wasp's nest" with this topic - just to see how much flak he'd get (and harrassements as well..lol).

Prob, he can't stand CFS "sloppy platters", or doesn't even know what they are. He just wanted to get us going again after witnessing that "Hellfire and Brimstone" barrage given from the fellows in that opaque tape topic.

And, if he gets quite a bunch of flak, we'll have to take a 50 gallon barrel full of Dr. Pepper and baptize him in that stuff. He won't forget that. (lol)

-Monte

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only having dealt with two makes of platters, I would have to lean to Neumade over Strong. I like the design better, and they're less likely to throw prints.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 08:26 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way. The old SPECO platters rule. I mean the brain can't be removed which makes print movement a breeze. The center rings can be bent with my little toe. Oh, and those old pressboard MUT's!! I love them!

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-03-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..I think Jeremy wanted to "stir up a wasp's nest" with this topic
Nah, just wanted to show that open-mindedness is dumb. I have only worked with the CFS and Strong platters. Trying to convince me that anything is better than those platters is just a waste of time. I'm obviously kidding here...CFS and Strong platters seem to be like Opaque and Zebra tape and AW3's are clear tape, at least thats what I gather from the opinions here.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I think Jeremey needs to be temporarily banned
I couldnt agree more.

quote: Adam Martin
Clearly this is way above a number of heads
Yup.

quote: Chris Hipp
However, Jeremy likes them and he liked Anchorman, so the only logical conclusion that I can come to is that super platters are great.
Finally someone who uses logic! Anchorman ruled!! Brad loved it too!! [evil]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who has never used a stinkin platter, here is just a taste:

First: the microswitches were just that. Micro. You could barely see the damn things and they just didn't hold up. I got to be a expert at changing them in the middle of a show.

Second: The make-up rings didn't hold tension on the film like a Potts ring. When you tried to move a print it fell apart.

Third: The goofy contraption they used on the variacs on the 5 deck models sucked. There was a bunch of linkage connecting the variac to the take up traveler. The set screw that held the linkage on the variac stem would always work its way loose. Even Loctite could not hold it. When the film ended and it came crashing down the set screw would gouge the hell out of the variac stem and you eventually got a very deep groove in the stem. This prevented being able to tighten the screw properly and it would spin on the stem. (Carmike was too cheap to replace it) This caused the platter to run at the wrong speed because the linkage was not tight on the stem, which in turn caused the traveler to start running up and down in cycles. When it would get to the bottom it would race back up and snap the film from tension.

Fourth: The dang thing would throw prints all the time for no apparent reason and sometimes it threw them due to the first point I made.

Fifth: The brains were stationary and there was little clearance for film moving on the 5 decks.

All in all I would say they sucked rear end. I have used Potts, Christie, Strong and I would say they all beat stupid platters hands down.

I would agree Jeremy probably started this post just to get things going. Jeremy you are such a trouble maker. [evil] [thumbsup] What's next, Abortion, Euthenasia, Death Penalty, Politics?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: