Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex XL Shutter Blades

Author Topic: Simplex XL Shutter Blades
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 12:53 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Included in a bunch of parts we bought along with some equipment from another theatre are two XL shutter blades. The secondary blade has about a 1/2 inch slit in the middle. The part number is PD 2600. Our machines have solid adjustable blades, are these an improved blade or what? Should we replace our shutter blades with them? They are new, never been used.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 02:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These blades are the adjustable type to increase the percentage of light to pass through, and with the usage of higher light power -both carbon and xenon. There is a theatre near me that has these adjustable conical shutters in their theatre, so I do believe that you can use these as well.

I think that these blades were used in studio XL's of sort, but don't quote me.

-Monte

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 04:51 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the blades with a slot were intended for drive ins to increase the light. I think you'll get a heck of a flicker if you use them indoors.
Bob

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 09:12 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the blades with the slot in them were intended for, but not required for, duel projection 3D. They worked in conjunction with a manual sync box that Polaroid made. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of it, but there was a rotating polaroid filter disc in it, and the operator would look though it on one side, the other side looked out the port at the screen and it allowed you to easily frame the 2 projectors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: