Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » VICTORIA 9 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: VICTORIA 9
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 08:39 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know anything about the Vic 9?

Example: (How popular was it? Decent machine? Special industry use?)

|  IP: Logged

Dick Twentyman
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 03:02 AM      Profile for Dick Twentyman   Email Dick Twentyman       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Andrew's request for information about the Vic 9, I have worked on two of these machines in a changeover configuration at a local seaside cinema which only operates for 4 weeks over the Summer break. The machines sit idle for the rest of the year - what a waste!

These particular machines are equipped with 2K Cinemeccanica horizontal lamphouse, and have capacity for 13,000 ft. spools. There is also motorised, on-machine rewind using a manually engaged clutch to couple the upper spool plate shaft with a separate motor via a vee belt.

The annoying thing about this arrangement is that the lower spool shaft is 1/2" diameter, but the upper shaft can be fairly easily replaced with a 5/16" for small centre reels. This means that film must always be rewound on the machine after screening if it is to be sent back to the exchange on the reels it originally came on.

The take-up consists of a weight compensated clutch, driven by a toothed belt, and is very prone to suddenly taking off at startup if 6000 ft. spools are used instead of 13,000 ft. The hold-back tension on the upper spool shaft is a combination of the old oiled-felt-pad, plus an oil filled dashpot connected to the clutch backplate by a steel wire. This arrangement means that film can only leave from the front of the supply reel. That is, emulsion-in wind is the rule.

After sitting idle for much of the year, a complete oil change is needed before the machines are put into service for the holiday season, as they take an age to crank up to speed.

Not much ever seems to go wrong with them. Otherwise, I can't tell you much more.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 05:29 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Victoria 9 was very popular at one time on the Odeon circuit here in the UK.
I worked on four of these machines for fourteen years, and providing you changed the oil, and motor drive belt once a year, had no trouble with them at all.
Basically they are a scaled down, 35mm only, version of the Vic 8.
Photographs can be seen at

http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/misc_projectors_18.htm
http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/odeon_wimbledon__old_site__21.htm

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 05:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Hugh McCullough
version of the Vic 8.

I loved those picts of the ODEON (Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation)at Wimbleton,esp of the "No.1 Box" seeing those V-8's, in which I ran a few years ago, only as with the V-18 setup. I agree, best machines that I've ever ran. Couldn't kill these machines if tried.

I also like the term on the "double head" setup.."Proper Skilled Projection.." Isn't that the truth!

-Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 07:46 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also a big fan of the Cinemeccanica V9. I'm sorry they stopped making it, but I can understand the market can't justify the cost of three models (V5, V8's are still made.) Although the V5 is pretty good, I wish they discontinued it and kept the V9.

It is a very 'open' machine; easy to thread and clean. Two years or so ago they made a curved gate which improved it more, although I have never actually used one with the curved gate. I felt it was/is a very reliable projector, however when it does need service, it can be more complicated to fix then your standard Century/Simplex.

The four I used were made in 1975. The turrets on them (3-lens with swing-away) are one of the very few I have seen on any projector that actually 'work.' They have nice X-Y barrel location adjustments, and index to the exact same location every time.

The only real problem I had was with the zipper/dowser shutter. It would open so fast and hard that the two rivets holding the round shield would shear once every 2-3 years. You can't just replace the rivets with screws, because the (rotating) shutter is so close, it would hit the head (or nut) on the screw.

I have heard of V9's being fitted to project 70mm film, but I've never actually seen this. The intermittent is the same as used in the V8, and with the all-gear drive, I would think it would be OK with 70mm.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V-9 where out for a short while and was a very trouble free unit. It was rumoured that the V-5 was developed at the request of a major client in the U.K. for a lower cost machine and to compete the the "other" belt driven projector marketed by Westrex at the time.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a prototype Vic9 35/70 I saw a ad for that was built as a scquare boxie thing of extruded alluminum with the projector mechanism mounted in a drum that was rotated to the angle of the rake I don't know if it was ever installed anywhere

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help!

Anyone know when the Vic 8 was introduced?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cinemeccanica.it/eng/indexflash.htm
they have a history of the company that lists 1961 for the v8

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon.

That's where I originally found out about the VIC 9, but it wouldn't show anything else- only the 5 and 10.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was in there old site pictures of the different versions of the vic9
do a seach of this site as I think there is some info on it

here is an old picture of the vic9 35/70

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
There was in there old site pictures of the different versions of the vic9
Gord,
Ahhhh yes, thats got to be the Vicfrigerator 9.......I take it that the meat,ice cream, and ice cubes are stored up top and that the milk, bread, cheese and other goodies were kept down below [Big Grin] !!!

There is still one VIC 9 running in Salt Lake City with a BACP scanner on it........

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-01-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the Vic 9 isn't a refrigerator, THIS IS... [Razz]

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No brad this is your fridge [Smile]

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Mark, the Vic 9 isn't a refrigerator, THIS IS...

Yea, but this is one ole fridge that never fails......

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: