Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » alternative to rewinding media cleaners

Author Topic: alternative to rewinding media cleaners
Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finally managed to get a media cleaner mounted on one of our DP70's and started using film-guard. Instead of rewinding the media it seems easier to me to just switch the supply and take up rolls and run it back the other direction. Can anyone forsee problems using this method provided that it is on the same film you're doing this with?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fine, but far more of a pain in the butt than simply using the coupling cores and rewinding the media.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-29-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have to get FilmGuard on your fingers every time you threaded the machine.

Personally, I don't mind the smell of the stuff all that much but having it on my hands virtually all day would be a bit much after a while. It would be problematic if you tried to eat, drink or smoke anything without washing your hands first. In such small amounts, I doubt it would hurt you (much) but long-term exposure (Day-in, Day-out, For months on end) to Film-Guard or ANY chemical would HAVE to create a negative effect on your health.

If you are conscientous about setting up your film cleaners and wiping off any excess spillage before you put them onto the projectors you SHOULD be able to rewind the media without getting any of it on your hands or clothes. After the first day or so, there would be a small amount of the FilmGuard left on the pads. An operator should be able to rewind the pads and get ZERO F.G. on himeslf.

And, for cryin' out loud! Is it THAT difficult to rewind the stinkin' media?! [Wink]

If you're THAT lazy, just get a wooden dowell that's slightly smaller than the inside of one of the black plastic cores used to rewind the media. Cut it off so that it's about 6 inches long. Stick the core over the wooden dowell and glue it in place. (Epoxy or Gorilla Glue, etc.) Once the glue is all cured, chuck the other end of the dowell into a screw gun.

When it's time to rewind the pads, just break out your trusty DeWalt and "motor-wind" the pads back to the start! [Big Grin]

What could be easier?! [thumbsup]

(P.S.: I've actually done this.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2005 02:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When it's time to rewind the pads, just break out your trusty DeWalt and "motor-wind" the pads back to the start!
..if one worrys about the contents of FG getting under the skin, one can wear latex gloves to be safe..

I used to do this all the time in rewinding media when one side was done. But, I took the plastic core, put a 1/2" spindle on the Kelmar rewind bench, slide that core on the spindle and zip wound the media on the core for the second side and have at it. Nothing to it.

Then, I would resquirt some FG on that rewound media, which was wound a bit more looser than when it was new, to really soak in the FG for better film contact.

Really made the prints just skate through the machines afterwards.

-Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-30-2005 09:31 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, gloves are always a good idea.

Just to clarify... I don't think FG is extremely toxic. No more toxic than other things you would find around the house/booth. It's just that I have to take precautions when I work around chemicals. For some reason I have developed a skin rash that comes and goes.

I have become extra conscious about what chemicals I am around. I use "clean rinse" laundry soaps and hypoalergenic soap/shampoos to wash with. If I am around chemicals, I have to be extra careful. Even if I'm out in the garage fixing the lawn mower or things like that. If I get motor oil or gasoline on myself I must wash it off pretty quickly or else my skin will break out. My skin will get itchy and red blotches will break out. It's not fun. [Frown]

For the average person who doesn't have any allergies I don't think there will be any problems. But, there's no reason for the average "normal" person not to take precautions.

Wearing gloves when you handle *ANY* chemical is a smart thing to do.
Wash the stuff off right away if you get any of it on you.
Change your clothes if it gets on the fabric.
If you spill any of it on the table or floor, etc. wipe it up right away.
Wash your hands when you are done working with chemicals... ESPECIALLY before you eat, drink, smoke or go to the bathroom!! (You don't want to get chemicals on your "Willy!!" [Eek!] )
Use proper "laboratory technique" when handling chemicals to avoid spillage or contamination.

Like I said, I am especially sensitive to chemicals. That's the reason I mentioned about getting the stuff on your skin. Most people shouldn't have any problems but that's no reason not to be careful with chemicals.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I don't think FG is extremely toxic.
It doesn't seem to have hurt [bruce] at all...... I once heard that "He loves the smell of Film-Guard in the morning".

Mark

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. It's not that I'm THAT lazy, its just something I thought of immediately when I started using Film-Guard. So I tried it and for me I thought it was easier.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 03:16 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
be aware that unless the media is almost used up on the first run, if you switch the feed and takeup cores more media will be used on the second run because of the larger winding radius on the new takeup. so if you started the first run close to the start of the media, you might run out of media on the second run. does that make sense?

carl

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2005 03:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
so if you started the first run close to the start of the media, you might run out of media on the second run.
..be best to "fast forward" the rest of the media, after the used, to the takeup core, that way you can use the second side at the beginning.

-Monte

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
be aware that unless the media is almost used up on the first run, if you switch the feed and takeup cores more media will be used on the second run because of the larger winding radius on the new takeup. so if you started the first run close to the start of the media, you might run out of media on the second run. does that make sense?

yeah, that makes sense. thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: