Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vertical Jitter (SRD/CP500) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vertical Jitter (SRD/CP500)
Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Vic 5 and CP500D. I've just installed a new computer in the booth for digital slides, and I put DRAS on it, to see what it did. A newish print in good condition tracks at an average error rate of 6, which seems a little high to me. The thing that DRAS complains about most is the vertical jitter, which is frequently in the red (>3 mil). The manual said that this was likely to be equipment related. What exactly is causing it? I thought it might be that the film wasn't tight enough around the sound drum, but I see no way of getting it any tighter. I tried shifting back and forth a few sprockets, but that just changed the size of the loop under the gate, without changing the jitter rate on the display.

Any suggestions that anyone has would be gratefully appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-28-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you don't say is if you have a basement or a penthouse reader
If it is the basment style check the scnnaer bearings and the rollers also the damper
the vic 5 basement usually tracks very well

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I forgot about that. It's a basement reader, mounted just above the exciter lamp house. I've checked the rollers that press down on the rims of the sound drum; they're fine. I'm wondering that perhaps it might be a side effect of the tensioning device that's mounted after the sound drum; instead of the hydraulic dash pot that seems to be standard, there's a manky little sprung roller assembly. It looks cheap and unfunctional.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-28-2005 09:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinemecanica sound head often had the dashpot damper as an option so maybe someone did a home brew

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 05:59 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spring type is far more common than the hydraulic here. Check that the lay on rollers and their pivots assembly haven't siezed up, also when did anyone last oil the scan drum bearings (Assuming it's the older type with the oil point?)

Also check the slip clutch asembly on the back of the draum shaft, at the flywheel end, common source of wow and flutter!

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a bit out there, but I have seen several V-5's with mechanical oscillations causing excessive jitter in the original basement reader with the lightpipe and remote mounted exciter lamp. One or both of the belts may be too tight/ too loose, setting up an oscillation. If you have a scope, you can see the jitter on the right-hand "goalpost." Tension adjustments to both belts have helped in this case. Try it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-29-2005 11:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
post a pix as i havent seen the spring type

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-29-2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the V-5 units I worked had the cheaper double roller on a spring dampen pivot arm. Ouside of what Pete and Gordon have noted is that you can also get jitter if the outer bell of the sound drum has been removed for service or cleaning and properly not seated when remounted. I have also seen problems when people have dropped the end bell on the floor and distorted the film riding edge.

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To digress momentarily from the subject, who makes a Dolby Digital basement reader for a V-5? Thanks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny cinemecanica does [Smile]

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete: I couldn't see any sign of the slip-clutch you mentioned, all there is under the flywheel cover is a bigish flywheel.

I dismantled and throughly cleaned the lay-on roller assembly (which was really horribly sticky). It seems to have made some difference: tonight's film ran through keeping the tensioner about a mil from the stop position, which was an improvment. I'll run some SRD film through to look at the jitter.

I'm just wondering: how does one go about lubricating the sound drum shaft? I can't see any way to get to the bearings.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas King
just wondering: how does one go about lubricating the sound drum shaft? I can't see any way to get to the bearings.

Across the shaft cover, being the housing, there should be a dimple looking device at the middle. This is where you take a small oil can, press down the dimple ball and this let's oil down to reach the end bearings.

Cine V-5's had to have this area oiled on a regular basis, or situations like this arises due to the simplified soundhead version of the V-5's. For the simplified version do not have roller bearings, but just sleeve bearings on each end.

-Monte

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, for info here is a (brand new) Vic 5 with spring dampened roller assembly. Oh, and basement SRD reader too!

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting is that factory or an add on?
All I have ever worked with had the hydraulic damper

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spring damper is mounted on a plate which has holes to match the mounting screw holes normally used for the oil dash pot damper.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: