Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » K-B Cinema is now closed

Author Topic: K-B Cinema is now closed
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-28-2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The once flagship theatre, K-B Cinema of the K-B Theatres chain in Washington DC, has now closed. The theatre was operated by the LCE chain in recent years.

The Cinema was a very popular theatre in its day, particularly when it was the #1 theatre for its chain, the throne it assummed when the K-B Apex closed in 1976. Seating just over 800, it saw the resurgence of 70mm in the '80s where it played many 70mm exclusive engagements and festivals.

It had one of the first CP200s (made for The Empire Strikes Back, installed in 1980. It also had the Norelco AA2s from the K-B Apex from 1980.

I was the regular operator there from 1982 - 1983 (ET and Wargames, summers, respectively).

Good bye old friend.

Also, happy retirement to Sam Brooks, the projectionist at the Cinema from the mid 70s until its close..."it was a hell of a ride."

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I never worked the Cinema, I visited the booth many times while working the K-B Baronet (long gone) about a mile or so up the street. Sadly the Cinema's closing leaves the Uptown as the last single screen in DC. And we all know what's been going on there.

My best wishes to Sam on his retirement.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the K-B closed way
back in 1992 [Confused] [uhoh]

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-29-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betsie....if you will refer to my posting above...you will see that I indicated that LCE was the operator of the theatre in recent years.

K-B theatres has been bought and has subsequently gone out of business. The remains of the once great K-B Theatre chain are the Apex Calvert in Prince Frederick Maryland (still operated by the same people that owned the K-B chain) and the Harbour 9 (which I'm pretty sure was built as a K-B theatre though it may have started life as an Apex Cinema), which is now operated by the Crown Theatre chain.

I posted the subject as the K-B Cinema since that was its name in its heyday and the name it wore for the overwhelming majority of its life. Cinplex Odeon, picked up the Cinema in the mid '90s and Cineplex was aquired by Sony/Loews which then turned into Loews Cineplex Entertainment, which brings us to today.

I think most would like to remember it as the K-B Cinema and would recognize that name if they knew the theatre.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the AA projectors will live on. They were donated to the Landmark Loews Jersey restoration project in Jersey City, NJ and we hope to install them over the summer. They appear to be in very good condition.

Loews Jersey

The Loews Jersey has no connection with Loews Theatres, other than they built the place in 1929, and ran it until it closed in the mid 1980's.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2005 11:08 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mitchell,

I haven't been here for a while; I was ill for a couple of days, and I've been projecting evenings and weekends, not getting home till very late.

I haven't heard anything from the loew's until the programme for the last film weekend a couple of weeks ago. Are tney going to be set up for 70mm? The Loew's could be a good place for 70mm when the restoration is finished. Any progress on the organ, or anything else, since the lease was sorted out? I'll e-mail you when I get in tonight.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we plan to run 70mm next fall, assuming all goes well. Our next film show is planned for March 5th, titles to be announced shortly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell,
At least they didn't end up here.......

-

Or like these.........

-

Mark

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Those are genuinely sad pictures. It is like looking at an elephant grave yard for projectors. Those grand machines should be running film and entertaining audiences.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2005 09:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are still about 8 complete mahines in that bunch, there are also more that are not shown sitting on pallets, about 19 in all. So far 8 of them have been restored and put back in service. More to follow.... but some have been relegated as parts machines. The oldest there is # 608(or 7) which came from the first run of DP-70's ever made. That machine fortunately will be salvaged.

MArk @ CLACO

Msrk

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, indeed.... the Caddy of ALL projectors then and now.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do offer tours of the DP-70 warehouse if anyone happens to be in SLC!!! Be sure to call and book space on the tour bus.... The wine and cheese tour is also very popular... fine wine and good cheese while sitting in DP70 village and chatting with a bunch of looney DP-70 techs [Roll Eyes] Or just come pick out your very own DP..... [thumbsup] We'll even load it up for you.....

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-10-2005 08:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say cheese? [Cool]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 02:17 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of interest, in percentage terms, how does the cost of buying a fully-refurbished DP-70, with new sound head, compare with the cost of buying a new, modern dual gauge machine?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2005 08:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
It depends on what options the customer wants and we do have quite a few for it but figure around 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new Century JJ for a fully refinished and rebuilt DP-70. This would include a new "Xenon" lamphouse table, 2 one piece lens bushings, aperature plates, solid state drive motor system,BACP LED reverse scan mod,a set of Stainless steel LaVezzi VKF 35mm only sprockets since it will be running 35 most of the remainder of its life. The DP-70 will also outlast the JJ by about 20 to 1 in needs for service. We throw in the wine and cheese on these sales....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: