Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Needed: DVD Player with auto replay

Author Topic: Needed: DVD Player with auto replay
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a playback-only VCR with an auto-replay function that we use to feed the lobby monitors. It's used to display promos for our up-coming live shows. The Auto-Replay function is perfect for our application: it rewinds at the end of the tape and initiates play again without intervention. The fact that we were able to find one that was a playback only unit was an added plus -- no one wants to steal a VCR that only plays back tape and has no tuner in it.

Now we want migrate to a DVD system. Does anyone know of any particular brand/model DVD player that has an auto-replay feature? OR better yet, do you know if commands can be embedded in the DVD program itself to tell the player to replay? It would seem so since at the end of any DVD movie, the units return to those annoying front-end menus.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just author the DVD to repeat endlessly and you can stick it in any generic DVD player and it will never stop.

Alternatively, there are models out there such as made by Panasonic that have a repeat button on the remote. Fair warning, when left running 24/7 they die after 9-12 months.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad; I figured there was a way to imbed a command, I just wasn't sure.

We only keep it running during our live shows. They turn the thing off at night. Probably it won't see more than 4 hr a night, three or four nights a week. And with DVDs going for so cheap, it's not a big worry. Besides, it only has to last until I retire. [Wink]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

How about letting the folks who burn multi DVD's for trailers that they can imbed the auto repeat feature into the DVD. I've replaced two players already... and the continual run is part of the problem. Of course, had someone had the foresight to put a small monitor in the office, with the DVD player, as opposed to having only the monitors downstairs IN THE LOBBY which display the title/menu options.. I would set them to repeat quite easily every day.... now it's the chore of getting someone who can help navigate the menu prompts via radio... PITA.

I forget the name of teh company we get ours from, but I know they've been mentioned here before... Used to be CInema Concepts out of Atlanta, but now they're somewhere out west I think... Kansas maybe?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-28-2005 06:11 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
The fact that we were able to find one that was a playback only unit was an added plus -- no one wants to steal a VCR that only plays back tape and has no tuner in it.
Frank, do you really think that somebody out to steal your VCR player cares or even understands what the tuner is? I don't think so. All they want to do is get the thing which looks somehow technical, and trade it for a few bottles of Listerine.
What is the name and logo for the new DVD system going to be? How about MetaView(TM)?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you burn a trailer disc without a menu and simply identify the first Title on the disc as the menu, (did this on accident somehow using Nero) when the disc reaches the end, it will replay. The player will go back to the "menu" (which is really your first trailer) and just continue playing.

I think you can do this by simply selecting "no menu" or "movie only" in your burning program, but I think I messed with some other settings too.

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-28-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Every piece of DVD authoring software does it differently.

And why is it my job to tell the advertising companies how to do theirs? [Razz]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 11:25 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Because you're cool like that? LOL

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, what about a hard-drive based system? I'm thinking of something like a Tivo. It would possibly be more robust. You'd need something that could preferably play back MPEG 4 files, but if it's just for small lobby monitors, MPEG 2 could be satisfactory. You'd still load from a DVD, but the continuous playback would be from the drive.

Looking at the price of pro- and semi-pro systems over here, the prices seem to be affordable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: