Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Home-made gaskets on intermittent? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Home-made gaskets on intermittent?
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a leaky intermittent mechanism caused by an old gasket. The gasket used to seal the two parts of the mech is now unavailable due to the age of the projector.

What, if anything, could I use to create a good seal on this intermittent?

|  IP: Logged

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 07:30 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don`t you tell us the make of the projector so we might intelligently advise you,.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2005 07:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would still kelp to know what make and model but basically speaking for a movement you'd want extremely thin gasket material similar to whats used on a Simplex or Century. Be sure to polish both surfaces to remove any old gasket material, crud, or corrosion. I use one of those diamond impregnated super fine stones for doing this. Its so fine that it doesn't actually remove any metal, it just cleans things up. This will help you insure a good seal with a new gasket.

Mark

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I omitted the make and model, I thought my question was more of a general question rather than machine specific. Anyway, it's for my portable Philips FP3 which needless to say, you cannot obtain gaskets for anymore. I have tried contacting Kinoton America but they haven't replied to my email.

The wierd thing is, that the gasket that is already there appears to be in good condition. It's not broken/split but where I've had the intermittent apart quite a few times, it has now given up stopping the oil from coming through, which is annoying because the intermittent is now running like a dream!

Where could I obtain the needed blank thin gasket material that I could cut the required shape out of?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-26-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried using LocTite 500-series gasketting products for this purpose?

(They make a wide variety, maybe the best would be LocTite 598 Black High Performance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker?).

--jhawk

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-26-2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try contacting Peter Hall of Future Projections in London. He has a wide range of second-hand kit and spares in stock - you might be lucky.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-26-2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Taylor
I have tried contacting Kinoton America but they haven't replied to my email.

Since you are in the U.K. why on earth you would contact Kinoton USA when you're that close to the Kinoton factory? I was able to get brand new gaskets(from Germnany) for my FP-56 which is even older then the 3. I would suggest contacting Kinoton in GErmany before you write off any original parts availability. Other than this Peter Hall would be your next bet.....

quote: John Hawkinson
Has anyone tried using LocTite 500-series gasketting products for this purpose?

Loctite 515 would work but ya gotta be careful about not using too much. You wouldn't want any cured particles of it to end up travling down the star or cam oil sporals. I've used this before with ok results.
Loctite 515

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2005 09:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since you are in the UK why not contact the UK Kinoton agent
Bell theatre supply
They are very reliable supplier

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 04:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to Bell's website. They should be able to import anything that Kinoton are still making; although I used to find that the price of new Kinoton spares (apart from everyday consumables like FP20 pressure plates and runners) is not for the faint-hearted.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I contacted Bell and they (very promptly) replied that kinoton can't find the part number of the intermittent in their old Philips parts lists, their internal documentation or on their computer but their technicians recommend just using standard gasket material available from a hardware store.

Mark, what is the reason for using really thin material? On the FP3 the gap between the two halves of the intermittent doesn't seem that crucial?

Thank you all for your advice.

P.S. Leo, have also contacted Peter Hall but as yet not received a reply.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,
It depends. If the star and cam are both mounted on the outboard side of the casing a thicker gasket material would be acceptable. However if the star is mounted to the film side half of the casing and the cam on the back(or drive side)half of the caseing then the use of thicker material would mean that there would be less face contact between the radius of the star and cam. If possible you want 100% face contact for best wear ability and strength of both parts.

If you have a photo of the movement that would help alot. I can also "mic" some gasket material in the morning so you would know what thickness to look for. For instance.... a Century gasket is thicker than a Simplex gasket and so on.....

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gaskets are generally made from what are called "Steel Rule Dies".

I was working as a Steel Rule Diemaker, but was laid-off after
9-11, as business really took a dump! What was a real disappointment to me was that I was designing some dies for projector gaskets, but the lay-off occured prior to my completing the projects.

In general, steel rule dies are quite inexpensive, work good and can produce thousands of coppies so long as they are not abused.

The major consideration is making the gasket out of the approperiate type of material, not to mention material thickness, which can effect part assembly.

Felpro makes bulk gasket material which is available at many auto parts stores, is made of material that is superior to the ole paper gaskets. Felpro material is also available in many thicknesses.

You may also try taking the part, "temp tacking" the bulk gasket material to it, and tracing/cutting out your gasket with an Exacto-knife/razor blade.

If this proves unsuccessful, then take the part to you local Steel Rule Die Maker. The Die Maker should be able to make a CAD drawing of the needed gasket, which can be based off the part or by using the old gasket as a template. The CAD drawing will then be "plotted" as the die line, which is a template actually used to cut out/fabricate the die board.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Kutler

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2005 11:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah er oh.... I think he only needs one gasket.....

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 05:32 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the 'gasket paper' from car accessory stores with success in the past for this purpose, cut it to shaped with a craft knife, and smear very thinly with Hylomar Blue when fitting. Many is the leaky intermittent I have repaired this way when genuine gaskets weren't too hand.

For the record, in the UK, there are now other Kinoton dealers than Bell Theatre Services. Ourselves (Omnex Pro Film) and Future Projections are able to supply and install equipment and parts from Kinoton.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have just discovered that the oil was not leaking through the gasket after all. It seems that the oil is slowly seeping through between the shaft and the casing where the cam shaft goes out to be driven by the motor. The fit is very snug and I can't see any damage to the shaft or the bush that it goes through. Is there any way of sealing this?

A couple of points to note; This has only started happening since the last time I re-assembled the mech, so I've obviously introduced some problem here. Also, I have put in a much thinner oil (in absence of recommended oil), would a thicker oil stop the leaking?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: