Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Superior Quartz Xenon Lamps

Author Topic: Superior Quartz Xenon Lamps
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 09:13 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I am currently using 2k Superior Quartz xenons for the first time in Kinoton console's and so far very impressed with the results.I have ordered a 7k and 4 k and would like to know how these higher rated lamps perform in relation to the Osram and ushio equivelant.The 2 k lamps seem to be giving a more even and whiter light and I would asume that the 4 and 7 k would give the same result.

Cheers [beer]
Steve

|  IP: Logged

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the chains I service switched from Osram to Superior about a year ago. On the whole, they tend to perform well in the first few months, but we have been finding that the bulbs tend to develop flicker much sooner than the Osrams, and therefore they are being changed out with far more frequency. Also, the 3k bulbs (don't know if they have fixed this yet or not), seem to locate the arc a few mm farther back in the reflector. Nearly every 3k lamp (at least with the older Christie lamps this chain has) has required that the lamp be shimmed forward in the reflector in order to have enough focus travel. All the 3kSLC's I have converted have likewise required the travel limits to be adjusted. According to Superior, they used the same measurements and tolerances as Ushio, though visible comparison of the two side-by-side make the difference very apparent. I don't know yet whether or not they have fixed this as we still have old stock of the superiors. Maybe I received some bad stock (25 or so bulbs..?) Anyone else have similar experience? Also - I have heard of these bulbs wreaking havoc on the diagnostic circuitry in Strong HilightII (digital readout types..) consoles. On one unit, installation of the Superior lamp prompted an error message - chk pwr supply - while running perfectly well. Re-installation of the Osram removes this message. No idea what could be going on with that.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Have tested superior zenons and at first had a few problems with the Short 2k lamps (SHSC).
Superior Quartz have re-designed these lamps and seem to be lot more stable, although I dont run them for any longer than the guranteed lamplife. This life is longer than osram though.

Have used the larger 2K and 3K lamps with no problems at all.

I agree that the light does look whiter than other lamps. Haven't come accross the diference in anode position in the lamps though like mantioned.

I would have no problem with the lamps, but am waiting to see if the 2K SHSC lamps last as long as an osram.

Darren

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 07:53 AM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, I would appreciate if you could give one of engineers a call 908-454-1700. We are constantly aim to improve our lamps and make slight adjustments to constantly improve the quality. But you should not be seeing issues of longevity with our lamps. IF you are seeing flicker there are certain adjustments you can make to reduce or eliminate this. Although manufacturers go from the same standards there are differences between us. With our cup seal configuration we are limited to what size diameter fitting we can fit over the seal. In some cases this created some mounting issues, but in working with some willing projectionist, we made lamp changes eliminating the problem. We did make some physical changes in our 3000HTP lamps. Could you provide serial numbers so I see if this was prior to our engineering changes. In comment to our problems creating issues on the HighlightII, I have to say this is the first we heard of this! Give us a call, Jeff Losco our chief lamp engineer would like to hear from you on this, to try and get an idea of the problem.
Our engineers will help in any situation no matter the size of the operation. We help single drive in owners to the big boys. Every comment is take seriously.

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 08:44 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey absolutely - I beleive at the time I was having this trouble with the 3khtp lamps, I did speak with Jeff, who said he would look into it. I never did follow up, though, and I would like to know what was found. As for the longevity issues, on the whole, we are getting useful life pretty much up to and slightly beyond the warranted lifespan, but have not been able to go nearly as far beyond warrantee as we were with Ushio or Osram without visible artifacts. Before we switched bulb manufacturer, I ripple tested each rectifier, measuring across the shunt per. Irem so that we could be sure we were getting a valid indicator of the bulb's performance. I would be glad to contact Jeff and discuss. As for the HilightII issue, I did not see this first-hand, but it was related to me by a trusted projectionist. I have seen false current readings on several of these consoles with the Superior lamps, though. Thanks
Matt

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-25-2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have sold the 2000HSC and bulbs in the 3 - 5 kw range with little problems. I had a customer with issues with Strong ignitors in Ultra 80 units having striking problems as they aged. The response from the Superior staff with options solved the problems and the customer is a happy camper [Smile]

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just spoke with Jeff at Superior. The issue with the 3k htp bulbs has been corrected - there was a 2mm discrepancy with the gap, which did cause the need to shim the bulb foward to place the arc in the correct location. He also said that the reason I may have been seeing decreased performance with the lamp is that the stabilization magnets need a slight adjustment in order to keep the arc centered on the anode. Good information for sure. The issue that I reported with the Strong equipment has to do specifically with the 3k HS lamps - they tend to run at a lower voltage than the Osrams, which causes the meter to return false readings or indicate an issue with the PSU (which is why the analog version works fine....Do we really need a computer built into everything? [Smile] . Corrections to that bulb design are under way. Thanks Dennis and Jeff.
Matt

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, what is the waranteed lifespan of the Superior?

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 07:36 AM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I will be happy to email of fax our warranty sheet. Just give me a shout.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 11:03 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dennis. Check your email.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: