Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hearing impaired signal? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hearing impaired signal?
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am installing a hearing impaired system in my theatre. Where should the signal be tapped? There is no H.I. output on my processors or monitors.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-20-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the system:

Phonic Ear's Starsound system uses two types of inputs:

The units that require a separate driver box can accept up to 4 channels of speaker-level input directly from the amplifier outputs.

The ones with the 1/4" jack in the side use a line-level signal, best taken from the preamp take-offs between the preamp and NR modules.

USL's infrared H/I device can take line or speaker level signals at its input, just one channel though.

Other brands may have different drive/input arrangements.

-Aaron

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 02:11 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using a Williams Sound FM transmitter with an RCA input. Can I use the signal from the center channel amp output?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-21-2005 02:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..tap in from your center channel preamp out to the amplifier is the most common terminal to use.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-21-2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a mixer that is fed the screen channels (L,C,R); the output feeds the booth monitor and the infrared unit. It allows you to mix all screen channels equally, which is what I prefer in the booth, but Center channel is dialoge-heavy which makes it ideal for infrared. For most people with hearing impairment the more isolated dialogue is from lots of other complex waveforms, the better. Of course you don't want to totally eliminate L & R channels completely since there can be location-specific dialogue occasionally panned into those channels as well. We settled on a mix of all three channels but pulling the L&R down approximately 6db lower than the Center. It seems to work nicely. I only do that when I know they are actually using infrared (I know when that happens because all the headsets are kept in the booth and the House Manager comes and gets them when someone asks, which is once in a blue moon). The rest of the time I keep the mix straight up even.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-21-2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you worked in a state-of-the-art arthouse theatre. What processor do you use for "MegaSound"? Doesn"t it have a center-weighted HI output?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I tap the signal from the center channel processor output, will it affect the signal level to the amplifier? So, will I have to adjust the output to keep 85 dbc in the auditorium?

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 01-21-2005 07:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What cinema processor are you using?

Dolby processors (except CP500 and CP650 which have a H/I output anyways) and USL processors have 'pre-amp out' terminals which are an ideal place to connect a Williams H/I system.

Do NOT connect the Williams to speaker level signals.

-Aaron

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have CP50's and 55's.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is "MegaSound"?

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 01-21-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Wienholt
I have CP50's and 55's.
Then look on the backplane of the processor, you will see terminals labeled 'pre-amp output' L, R, and E (or the ground symbol on the '55).

Simply connect the hot lead of the H/I cable to either the L or R terminal (NOT BOTH!!!) and the shield to E (ground) and you will have a nice signal for the H/I system.

-Aaron

[ 01-22-2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-21-2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Connect the hot lead to L and E?

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 01-22-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post corrected- Thanks Mike

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 01:41 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-22-2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to be anally over-correct here, I just wanted to point out a potential misunderstanding! Most of our older locations with CP55 I found set up with the HI simply tapped into the center channel output, and I decided to leave them that way. Ideally, an actual HI output with a centerweighted sum of L,C,R is best, but I found that most of the Hi customers just want to be able to understand the dialog properly. To answer Tom's erlier question, no, it does not influence the C channel level negatively. At this point, it is just a voltage anyway, and even if it had an effect on levels, you would set up levels in your system as it is completely set up anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: