Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dolby cp650 reverting

Author Topic: dolby cp650 reverting
Mike Amici
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Mike Amici   Email Mike Amici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that i posted a similar question about a week earlier, but after re-reading it i've found that i did not describe the problem correctly. so here goes:

the cp 6500 on #8 is reverting to Dolby sr (ch5) at feature start, it's not simply faulting out: it just switches to ch5 and stays there. The feature is certainly encoded for Dolby digital (ch10) and switching it back will fix it. Any ideas as to what might be causing this [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that your CP has the auto-digital option disabled?

Ciao
Nando

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-19-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if Auto Digital is disabled, once Format 10 (note it's format, not channel, it's a cinema processor, not a radio) is selected, that plays no role. If the automation actually selects 10 or Auto Digital is enabled (to check this, press the menu button and it will say on the screen what the status is. If desired, you can change it with the volume control knob and then press OK to save the new setting). You have to check if the automation actually selects Format 05 or 10. If 10 is selected, it will revert to 05 if the error rate is too high, and return to 10 if enough good data are available again. However, the processor records the errors, and when too many errors occur, it will stay in 05. Pressing any format button will clear the error memory for a fresh start.
Since it appears you are experiencing these problems with this print only, you either have too many badly printed data on the first reel or your print is damaged.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your automation is set to run format 5 with auto digital enabled in the cp650 and, provided the processor can see enough data it should engage format 10 automatically.

If your print is buggered and you want to run exclusivley in SR I would reccommend an automation setting to format 5 and disabling the auto digital.

The auto digital setting is three options into the menu, check this is enabled first and then make sure your automation is set to engage format 10.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-19-2005 07:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "feature start"? If you have automation and there's a cue at trailer end/feature start you may have a wiring error or programming error that is telling the CP650 to go to format 05 then. If not, maybe there's a "feature presentation" snipe with digital sound? Those are often re-used so many times that the digital track degrades severely. Because playing in 05 SR will be less annoying to the audience that repeatedly switching between 05 SR and 10 SRD throughout the show, the processor stops switching to digital after a few (10-20?) such events (I forget the exact number).

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2005 01:57 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dave wrote:
"the processor stops switching to digital after a few (10-20?) such events (I forget the exact number). "

Are you sure? how much is the interval in which the (few) events must happen?

Ciao
Nando

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-20-2005 02:08 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it seems to me that David is "not sure" as can be read from his formulation "I forgot the exact number". But what both he and I are sure about is that the processor does indeed refrain from switching between digital and analog from a certain point onward to avoid the annoying effect of switching all the time. Like I said, the error memory can be cleared by re-selecting any of the formats. It would really help the discussion if you would actually read what others write, Signore Innocenti, including my comments about the Auto Digital Feature.

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Michael, I read your comments, but you said "too many errors". Dave said to have forgotten the number. I like to know how many events must happen in a certain interval to make the CP650 stay in format 05 if auto digital is enabled.

Ciao
Nando

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: