Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex XL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Simplex XL
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was reading something in the tips section about changeovers and it was talking about a projector called the Simplex XL, and said that it was now currently manufactured by Ballantyne as the PRO 35. One of Winnipeg's now demolished palaces (The Capitol Theatre- there will be a picture page for it coming soon) had this projector, and as far as I understand, it had as really great presentation.

My questions are:
Is the Simplex XL really the Pro 35 now?
What kind of features did it offer?
Overall, what did you think of this (if you've worked with it)?

Thanks everyone!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-17-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
Is the Simplex XL really the Pro 35 now?
Hell, NO. The Simplex XL is now known as the PR-1014 (aka Simplex 35), and is basically the same machine as the 'XL' that was introduced in 1949. The Ballantyne PRO-35 (introduced ca. 1970) is also still being made now as well, and is a totally different machine.

What kind of features did it offer?
There are several variations on the XL mechanism, mostly the addition of turrets or specialized gate/trap assemblies; the gear train is for all intents and purposes the same between all of them. The up-and-coming 'replacement' for the 1014 is the all new Apogee machine.

Click Here for the Simplex PR1014 Manual to see the features

Click Here for the PRO-35 manual so you can see the difference

Overall, what did you think of this (if you've worked with it)?
The Simplex XL/35/1014/1015/1050 are one of the best 35mm machines I have ever used.

The Ballantyne PRO-35 is a pile of junk, IMO.

As always, YMMV, and I am sure that others will have differing opinions to mine.

-Aaron

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron beat me to the punch on the X-L history...

The X-L was the first head to feature a conical shutter, designed for light efficiency. It was also the first Simplex to feature a full-time oil-spray lubrication system, both a great idea (for long gear train life) and its Achilles' heel (a reputation for leaking oil).

I installed an X-L head in my home setup almost a year ago. It's a smooth-running machine I really like overall except that threading the film trap is somewhat awkward compared to the Simplex E-7 the X-L replaced. One other thing...originally, the machine leaked oil out the main drive gear seal like there was no tomorrow (in fact, I christened the machine the Simplex Valdez because of that); installation of a seal kit with an updated drive gear stopped the leaks cold and allowed more oil to be added to improve lubrication (thanks, Mark G. for the suggestion! [thumbsup] ).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-17-2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Sisemore
The Ballantyne PRO-35 is a pile of junk, IMO
..lol - more like a POS!

Yet, if you thread a PRO-35 correctly,they can be alright, but that dowser assembly for the 35 being held up with that selinoid contraption, plus that coupling device for the intermittent, sucks the big one.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I don't like either that well but if I had to choose the Ballantyne would win if it had all the updates and upgrades done to it. At that point its really a very good projector capable if extremnely steady pictures.

Mark

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the tips. I downloaded the PRO 35 manual this morning before making that post, as well as the Simplex XL the other day, but could not find similarities:

"Simplex XL (a.k.a. Pro 35, a currently manufactured model)"

I printed the Simplex 1014 manual a few years ago for some reading material. Yes, I am weird.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-17-2005 08:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
properly operated and cared for the pro35 is a very good and reliable machine the only ones that have issues are one that have been abused by people who operate and modify them forgetting that in some vague possibility the orignal design engineer new something of what he was doing (this is true of most equipment)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-17-2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I printed the Simplex 1014 manual a few years ago for some reading material. Yes, I am weird.
Holy smokes Andrew, I'd hate to think what you must think of me then! I REALLY enjoy snuggling up on the sofa under a blanket in front of the fireplace with a raging fire on a cold, rainy night and reading an equipment manual.

Always remember, knowledge is power. Ummmmm so is money, but that's another thread... [Razz] [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-17-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let his nerd/techie ways seduce you, Andrew. Stay far, far away from Phil. As Homer said to Bart, "You'll thank me on your wedding night."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-17-2005 10:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Money = Power : Knowledge = Money :: Knowldege = Power.

Assuming that your goal in life is to be a technician of some sort, whether it's a projector technician or not, you'd be weird if you WEREN'T reading manuals!

Being able to read a manual, understand what it says and take action based on what you have read is a VERY important skill to have. It's not like reading an ordinary book. You have to be able to understand technical terms which, many times, leave little/no room for interpretation. This is often just the OPPOSITE of what you do when you read literature.

Asking questions is the second skill you should develop. It's important, not because you simply get answers to your questions. The REAL benefit to asking questions is that you learn how to take what knowledge you DO have, reformulate it into a question and communicate it to sombody else in a coherrent manner.

These are both skills that fewer and fewer people seem to be developing these days. By simply starting this thread and asking the question, you demonstrate that you have the potential to be far ahead of others in your peer group in terms of technical skills.

Keep it up and you have the potential to go far!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-17-2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Simplex XL (a.k.a. Pro 35, a currently manufactured model)"
No the XL is NOT the Pro 35.

Didn't we just cover this in post #2? [Smile]

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-17-2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andrew... pay NO attention to what Steve says... he's just bitter cuz I hogged the blanket when we were reading manuals together! [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-18-2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
on a cold, rainy night and reading an equipment manual.
...shoot, This is how I began to learn on all of this tekkie fix-it stuff when I began this crazy field 35yrs ago: cuddling up to a warm space heater in a cold drive-in booth reading and studying Motiograph and Ashcraft manuals between reel changeovers, when we would run the last few weeks in the autumn.

Then, when I finally moved into the "hardtop" world of the theatre palaces, once again, cuddling up to a warm corner's heater when the theatre's heating system would fail at times, reading and studying up on all of the Simplexes and Peerless Magnarcs that I would run - from Supers to XL's, Western Electric 206B's, Motiograph 7500's, SH-1000's..and what have you -- with a few Motiograph, Simnplex amplifier manuals on the side.

No one showed me jack....learned this stuff on my own by "studying" the manuals...

lotsa fun - Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-18-2005 02:06 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Much is in the manuals, if only more people would read them. I like Phil's approach... next to the fire. Hee-hee, there was a time when I would've done that!

[Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, that was an exact quote from this document (4.1.1 Projector/Lamphouse)

BTW, I downloaded it for some *light* reading material... I usually read the lamphouse manuals over and over. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: