Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP 200 - Running Nonsync through Le, Re

Author Topic: CP 200 - Running Nonsync through Le, Re
Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's that for a specific topic title?

We have a CP 200. We'd like tto set up a format such that the nonsynch input is routed stictly to the Le and Re speakers. (we have a cover over our screen, and the L, C, R channels are inaudible when it is down) If we can't have that, we wouldn't MIND if the sound came out LCR as well, as long as it did come out Le and Re. It would also be OK if the nonsynch sound came out of the surrounds, but the Le, Re speakers are really the preferred ones. I've not found any threads that specifically adress this exact topic, although a number came close.

Thanks for your help!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel: Email sent.

I have been working on, and think I have the solution to, N/S thru surrounds and once I get a chance to test it I will post the results here and on my thread "CP-200 Non-Sync thru Surrounds".

IIRC, it's not too much different to route them thru Le/Re.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally Lc and Rc are located between the extreme L/r speakers and the centre so they would also be muffled
The only way I know is to develop a custom format and insert it through the Mag B

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Gordon says, how come you are covering the L,C and R but not the Le Re???
You got some sort of wierd masking/tabs that leave two stripes clear where the Le Re's are?!

Only time i would put sound through the surrounds is for PA use. Think music would sound a little odd.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing he has the Re the the Le speakers outside the cover just for house music....and hopefully they are not playing during the shows..

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, the cover is a big wooden wall that comes down to cover the screen. L, C, and R are behind the screen, Le and Re (not Lc and Rc) are mounted outside the screen. Those speakers were used only for 70mm and for non-synch under our old setup (with a different processor). Currently, they aren't used at all, since we aren't running 70 any more. (unfortunately) So again, N/S through Le/Re is the ideal solution, but if we've got to settle for surrounds, thats better than nothing.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-16-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-Sync through surrounds is easy...just set the suitcase link on the back of the unit...you will get a mono mix through your surroudnds (it is silkscreened on the back of the Processor Unit (look on the lower left as you face the unit from the rear).

For Le/Re...that too is doable with slight modifications (non-permanent)...I don't have time at the moment to get you details but I can do that.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-16-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Le and Re (not Lc and Rc) are mounted outside the screen. Those speakers were used only for 70mm and for non-synch under our old setup"
Lc and Rc are the proper names for LE and RE and they are supposed to be between L and C and C and R repectively hence Lc and Rc

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This screen doesn't have room for five channels behind the screen. The screen is about 10 feet by 22 feet with 16 inches or less depth behind it. The auditorium seats 589 (or it used to before recent changes) and is multiuse, chamber music being ideal.

When running prints with three or fewer screen channels, the three speakers behind the screen are used for Left, Center, and Right. The speakers outside the screen on the left and right are not used and are ideal for Non-Sync left and right channels. These speakers are normally connected to the Left Extra (or Left Center) and Right Extra (or Right Center) processor outputs.

When running prints with five screen channels, the speaker mounted to the left of the screen edge becomes Left. The left speaker behind the screen becomes Left Center. Same thing happens on the right.

This CP200 needs an Accessory Unit. Anyone have one available?

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops... sorry for the error. That'll teach me to post after having been awake for 36 hours.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-16-2005 09:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I give you the solution to have the non-sync play out of the Le/Re channels....I have to ask...

How are you switching the L, Le (and R, Re) when running 70mm verus the other films...are you patching the amps or something (this will affect how I respond to you situation to guide you properly).

Steve

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they had an Ultra*Stereo CS-200 they would swap the amplifier input leads at the processor output. The Format Card was modified to play Non-Sync through Le and Re.

They'll need to swap amplifier inputs on the CP200 system. If they can obtain a CP200 Accessory Unit and the L/Le + R/Re swap card then they won't need to physically swap amplifier connections.

I believe the last time they played a 70mm print was in 1998 March. The last 5 screen channel print was played in 1991.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-17-2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Accessory unit is not needed for the simple channel swap. The Accessory unit is handy though for EQ on Le and Re though. In fact, you shouldn't use the same EQ for Left and LE and likewise for R and Re. Especially if some are behind the screen and others are outside of the screen.

Look later for a posting on how to do it.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: