Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theatre/Booth Layout

Author Topic: Theatre/Booth Layout
Matt Hollis
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Matt Hollis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hollis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, what are the theatre/booth layouts for each member's theatre? A new construction is in the works, and I was wanting to know of there was some form of standard. Drawings, descriptions, and pictures are all welcome.

Thanks Guys

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best option is to scroll through the pics in the links to the side, possibly asking questions after as to why "X" layout was chosen.

There are some good, bad & ugly designs out there, mine was going to use a central platter bay, till my architect redesigned the stairs without my knowledge.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-14-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatres are rarely if ever designed around the booth, and they shouldn't be. They sould be designed to make optimum use of the available space for the auditoriums. Just make sure there is enough room to operate the projectors properly, without having to route the film around corners because there was no room for the platter next to the projector. A typical problem arises when theatres are facing each other directly and the booth is so slim that the consoles almost touch each other.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-14-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some good guidelines in the old SMPTE projectionist book. I haven't seen the new one, but hopefully it has some suggestions as well.

Assuming that we are talking about multiplexes here, these are some thoughts that I have:

- locate the rewind bench/desk/comfy chair near the biggest house, so that the operator is usually nearby and can fix any issues before they kill the biggest show in the theatre

- make sure that there is plenty of space without tight corners for moving makeup tables around (assuming a platter house); also make sure that there are straight film paths from machine to machine for interlocking

- make the portholes as small as possible in order to avoid stray light on the screen

- make sure that manual houselight controls are accessible from the operator side of the projectors while looking out the porthole--I've seen some installations that have no manual controls at all for the house lights [Razz]

- locate the sound racks within easy reach of the operator side of the projectors

- if it can be done without causing a hum in the soundtrack, try to make the work lights dimmable to avoid allowing stray light into the auditorium

- install a "reel light" (handheld lamp on retractable cord) in the ceiling above each machine to make maintenance easy and quick

- I prefer to have automation controls mounted on the front wall instead of on the projector base or console; your tastes may differ

- if you have multiple booths, install security cameras and monitors so that the screens serviced by one booth can be viewed from another (at least to check for light and framing)

- install enough automation status boards so that one is visible from each projector position

- have plenty of space near the rewind bench for working and storing supplies; I like to have a reel cabinet underneath for storage of 2000' reels, a reel cabinet to the side for storage of 6000' reels, a couple of shelves above for storage of the splicer, sync block, and extra splicing tape, and a bulletin board next to the shelves for show shedules, notes to other operators, etc. A table (or cabinet, for a large theatre) should be nearby for storage of trailers, leaders, etc. A trash can should also be nearby.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: