Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for an Automation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Looking for an Automation
Matt Hollis
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Matt Hollis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hollis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, there is a good possibility I am going to be working as a projectionist in a new theatre soon. I am needing to know what a good reliable automation system that can be installed. Four cues are needed:

Start Button:

Motor On
Lamp On
Sound to Mute
Lights Down
Slide Projector Off

Show Start Cue:

Douser Open
Sound to Digital

Presentation Start Cue:

Sound to DTS if Used

Credits Cue:

Lights Up

Show End Cue:

Douser Close
Sound to Mute

Film Run Out:

Motor Off
Lamp Off
Sound to Non-Sync
Slide Projector On

Thanks Guys

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your sequence needs modification. Do you really want to shut off your non-sync and slides while the leader is running down? And do you really want to have the xenon blasting on the douser during the entire leader run-down? (This assumes you use generous lengths of leader, for the best interest of your presentation.) Ideally you want something more along these lines....

START button:
*motor on

START CUE (on leader):
*xenon on
*house lights dim to half
*after X second delay - audio switch/fader up/douser open

FEATURE CUE:
*lights down

CREDITS CUE:
*lights to half

SHUTDOWN CUE:
*xenon off
*audio switch to non-sync
*failsafes run motor until tail out

Also other things can be done with the better automations such as actually FADING the non-sync and such. The CA21 is the most versatile automation on the market, and it's got a fantastic computer interface. There are reviews on the site.

If you're on a budget, Christie's 3Q system I believe will do everything you need to do.

Congratulations for seeking out an automation with an actual start cue. Few people seem to look for that and on cheaper systems without that feature, the projectionists end up turning the projector motor on and off to get the leader precisely cued down to the start position, thus wearing out the projector sooner. Those that thread "where it needs to start" end up using short leaders, which causes the first thing to hit the screen to commonly be dirty from all the nearby handling.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 05:37 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
START CUE (on leader):
My preference would be;

*xenon on
*house lights dim to half
*after X second delay - audio switch/fader up/douser open

FEATURE CUE:
*lights down
*fader up

CREDITS CUE:
*lights to half
*fader down

CA21 anything is possible, though from reputation CA100 is as good, perhaps better

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually all the mentioned automations are fine units, some do more or less than the other will.

Since your basing your needs on 4 cues why not use the EPRAD Ultimation.... Its system is based on 4 cues total and they can be spread out to about 30 different functions. I've had great reliability with literally hundreds of these in service. Only two failures since they were introduced back in the mid 80's that I can remember. The FP-350 cue detector is also about as good as cue detectors get and very reliable. One very important thing about them is that they are also based on Semiconductors that will not become unavailable any time soon. Built in obsolescence is really about the first thing to consider if you are going to install any type of computerized automation and the Ultimation is not affected in the least by semiconductor obsolescence. EPRADS parent company TL Industries has much experience at building robotic control automation for for many of the largest auto makers.

Stay away from the C.E. TA-10 automations. Although they are somewhat flexible that flexibility has to be built in during the installation as programming is done with a technician installed an internal diode array and sometimes many add on relays.... what results in a largish system is a kludge..... While the CA-21, Ultimation, and others are programmed via simple front panel controls and LCD screens.

Also take a serious look at the larger Kelmar Deluxe electro-mechanical automation units. These old bullet proof workhorses are extremely flexible and the most reliable of all the stuff out there.

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The FP-350 cue detector is also about as good as cue detectors get and very reliable.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Thanks for the good laugh Mark. I needed that.

Kelmar makes the most reliable cue detectors hands down. With the CA21 I just get their single head cue reader and move it to scan over the inboard SDDS track, but they do have a 3 cue version as well. Those never, ever, ever, ever, ever miss and don't require the constant cleaning that the FM-35 does. As far as the Eprad failsafe, buy tons of cue tape because you will be replacing the cue strips quite often!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-14-2005 07:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad [Eek!] that the Pennywise automation is the most versatile automation system. I don't know the Christie version CA21, but I understand it's the exact same system as the Kinoton version EMK1 , except for the front plate. I also like the remote control software which I again have only encountered in the Kinoton version, but it was obvious that it is the same as for Christie, because you could switch between graphical representations of the CA21 and EMK1 front plates.
But it is pricey. In our new location, we are going to use the DMP1 , which is also a programmable automation, but with more basic functions. There is also a remote control/monitoring software for this automation.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-14-2005 07:38 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So Brad, are you saying I should sell my FM-35s and get Kelmars?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No Phil, I wouldn't waste the money on doing that...since you're never gonna get off your butt and set up your equipment anyway! [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2005 10:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as the Eprad failsafe, buy tons of cue tape because you will be replacing the cue strips quite often!

Ha, you must be thinking of something else Brad. The FP-350 is a non contact proximity cue detector with less rollers on it than the Kelmars have. I was installing Kelmar prox type detectors when you were still running 16mm in Jr. High School..... before they were reliable or had the cue stretcher. The Kelmars are fine and we actually use them more often than the FP-350's. You're right about them not missing a cue but neither do the FP-350's. Both in fact use a similar cue stretcher curcuit. The FP-350's have had zero (0) problems for me, not a single failure at all and zero (0) problems with cue tape. The FM-35's suck big time. The sensors on them seem to suck the dirt right in for some reason.

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Proximity detectors existed 20 years ago?

I used those Eprad things with the mega-evil Strong CNA-150 automation systems from hell for about a year. We had to replace strips every 2 weeks to ensure they would read. What a piece of junk. I'm not sure if I have ever hated an automation quite the way I did that one.

(Apparently your mileage will vary if you are in Utah! [Razz] )

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Proximity detectors existed 20 years ago?

Yes, about twice that long ago. A WW-2(or perhaps even a bit earlier) spin off. There was a problem with a bad batch of sensors used in the Eprads that I have heard of but I never did end up with any of the bad ones. That may have been your problem though. We typically get em straignt from EPRAD not Strong. I typically use the FP-350 to replace existing contact type detectors because it directly interfaces and they make up to a three cue version.

Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked extensivley with the FP350 proximity cue detectors. While they do have a few problem, overall they were pretty reliable. The biggest problem that I had with them eas the sensor would actaully break off and come in contact with the film and just register all of the cues in about 30 seconds.

the other problem that we had rarely, is that the rollers would move a little away from the sensors, or vice versa, and not read.

After having worked with the Kelmars for a month or so, I would say that simplicity is better and the kelmars are more reliable.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 02:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea...FP-350's are the KING!! .. just keep the sensors dusted once in a while...

3Q's for Christie are great also...being a cue based automation, instead of software based like the CNA-100's.

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 07:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first proxs I worked with were the 2 wire normally closed contact blue cruzet sensors and that was a long time ago

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-15-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, least we forget the Panalogic CA-2000 automation. Quite possibly the most flexible one of them all. It talks serial as well as contact closure too

Panalogic CA2000

It too has a software interface for complete complex monitoring. Note the Pennywise and the Panalogic both original in Austrailia!

I too agree that the Kelmar is THE cue detector for NEVER missing cues.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: