Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The "Door" on Sound Heads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The "Door" on Sound Heads
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what the reason if for the door on soundheads, more specifically the Simplex 5-Star. I've run shows with it open and closed in both Analog and Digital (basement reader) and I didn't notice a difference. The rest of the projector and film path is opened, why would they close this? I'm guessing it's some weird engineering theory, but I guess my question if why?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-12-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed a very weird engineering theory behind that: to keep as much dust and dirt out as possible. Most older projectors had closed film compartments as well, not a bad idea as such. In the olden days, fire safety probably played a role too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Keep dust out
- Make it look nice

Plus in the old days of flammable film, there were probably fire prevention issues.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could alos be to help keep out extraneous light. Run a loop through it someday and shine a flashlight and see what it sounds like. Of course a properly designed booth will not have lighting in front of the port window while the movie is running anyway so it doesnt really help.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the door on the Simplex 5-Star has a clear plexiglass "window" on it. So if its job is to contain fire, it fails, and if its job is to keep light out, it fails.

I close all the "doors" whether on the projector head or soundhead, just because it looks nice and I always have that feeling that exposed moving parts are better when contained. Hate to have someone with long hair or a "required" tie sweeping around the machine... [uhoh]

=TMP=

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some older model projector heads like Century, Simplex, et. al. have doors too. Since you can mount an older sound head onto a newer model projector, it would make sense that the sound head has a door.

Keeping the door shut on the sound head keeps out a lot of stray light. Now that we have red light/electronic readers that's not so much of an issue. However, when solar cells were in use, a fluorescent light shining on the sound head could REALLY mess up the sound!

Open the door on an older (solar cell) sound head and flick a cigarette lighter in front of the cell, if you want to try a test. You'll hear a loud, "POP!!" in the speakers! [Eek!]

Most people who use electronic red readers and have never seen a solar cell would never consider problems like that. I guess it's one of those things you don't think about unless you've had to deal it before.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Procyk
But the door on the Simplex 5-Star has a clear plexiglass "window" on it. So if its job is to contain fire, it fails, and if its job is to keep light out, it fails.

I don't know what a 5-star sound head is, but if it's got a plexiglass, or similar, window in it then either it's something fairly modern, i.e. post nitrate (ok, it could still be about 50 years old!), or the original glass has been replaced. Given that few soundheads from the nitrate era are still in use today, I would guess that it's a modernised version of an old design, and thick, wired glass was no longer considered necessary.

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 04:11 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On really old equipment, before solar cells, could it have helped with the tubes that were used for audio pick-up?

The tube pick-up that I found in our theater has huge optical area. I'm thinking it had to have been 1x3".

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hegel
On really old equipment, before solar cells, could it have helped with the tubes that were used for audio pick-up?

Yes, and the old glass photocells were in use not that long ago. Quite a few places still had them until they converted to Dolby Stereo, and I seem to remember that Scott Norwood was asking recently about converting a pair of universal bases to read cyan tracks. I assume that these machines still have them.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most widespread fire prevention device on projector operating sides was the combination of an enclosed spool magazine and film cutting device where the film was pulled into or out of it. The cutters were so that if film in the feed spool ignited, the fire wouldn't then spread to the take-up magazine (and vice-versa).

Remember, you cannot prevent or arrest a nitrate fire by removing the oxygen supply (i.e. housing film in an airtight enclosure), because the combustion process generates its own oxygen. So whatever the reason was for enclosing projector mechs and soundheads, it wasn't nitrate fire safety. My guess would be noise suppression and/or keeping dust out. There are some mechanisms, e.g. the GK-19, which have safety magazines but the rest of the mechanism open.

Some earlier spool magazines were airtight (or very nearly so), and if the film within caught fire, the rapidly expanding combustion gases would usually cause them to explode. That's why, from the late '20s onwards, you started to see spool magazines with tapered lips facing away from the operator's side, to allow a film fire to burn itself out in a controlled way and with the smoke and flames directed away from the projectionist. Of course if this did happen you wouldn't want to stay around - one or two deep breaths of those nitric acid fumes and your lungs would be like you'd smoked 80 a day all your life - but it did buy you the time needed to get safely clear.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe at one time the door was required for Underwriter's Laboratories approval.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I don't know what a 5-star sound head is, but if it's got a plexiglass, or similar, window in it then either it's something fairly modern, i.e. post nitrate (ok, it could still be about 50 years old!), or the original glass has been replaced.
We have a 5-star, purchased new in 1980. It came with a plexiglass window in the door (as did the Simplex projector). I always figured that the door was an old design, but the plexiglass was a newfangled post-nitrate feature.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So besides fire prevention for Nitrate films, the really isn't a reason for it. I've seen booths running 5-Stars without the door attached and they all seemed fine. I'm guessing it just evolved into an asthetic thing then.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The door wasn't really to prevent nitrate fires, but to prevent the fire inside from getting outside. Little bits of burning film could've easilly fallen out of the projector onto the floor, etc if there wern't any doors. Also back in those days the operators were in the booth while the film was running, so it kept burning pieces of non-extinguishable film from landing on them too.

--Chris

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: the LED readers still use solar cells to convert the light into an electrical siginal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: