Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Altec A6 speakers

Author Topic: Altec A6 speakers
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

Can someone tell me his/her opinions on these speakers? The Altec pdf found on manuals is not so detailed, I would like to found more tech datas (power, sensitivity and so on) and, more important, your opinion on that speakers: are they suitable for a digital installation?

Bye
A

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are a great sounding speaker

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-12-2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Altec A-6 measures up to the JBL 4670 and the EV TL940. To my ears, the A-6 is the best sounding of the buch. The HF section (already discussed in another thread) is the best in its size range and I still use it (yes, you can get Altec HF drivers and horns, still).

While the LF section is very smooth sounding, it does not go quite as deep as the JBL 4648A LF systems...nor does it have the power handling.

FWIW, the MPAA in Washington DC runs on A-6 speakers behind the screen.

Steve

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 03:16 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Gordon,

Thanks for your opinions, very valuable to me!

I'll search immediately the thread on the A6 HF.

Can I found somewhere tech datas of A6 HF and LF drivers?

Bye
A

Doug Eisemann
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Doug Eisemann   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Eisemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most comprehensive collection of Altec literature on the internet that I have found, try www.audioheritage.org There is an enormous amount of information about all the companies that James Lansing had a hand in, but for quick Altec reference, go to the "library" section, and look in the Altec literature heading.
There are scans of many catalogs, spec sheets and enclosure plans.
One of the co-founders of the site, Steve Schell, is a good friend of mine, so if you have any really obscure questions, I would be happy to relay them to him.

Regards
Doug Eisemann

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Doug! Very complete and interesting website!!!

I'll check deeply if I can found what I'm searching for, I'll contact you again if I have some "obscure" question!

Bye
A

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: