Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie K30 Exhaust Blowers

Author Topic: Christie K30 Exhaust Blowers
Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2005 08:25 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing, but both of my Christie K30 lamps lost the exhaust blowers within weeks of each other (front blower, under stack). Nice thing, the blowers and motors (combined set, you can't separate them) are available from a local electrical supply (Grainger's) and the 4-bolt pattern is available. Better than waiting for someone to find me genuine Christie parts.

The rear intake blower in my #1 had the squirrel cage loosen. Far easier than taking the whole back end of the lamp apart (so I found out) a long 3/32" Allen wrench (4" or better, a T-handle is best) through the fins of the impeller, and you can tighten up the set screw.

Hope this helps someone. Happy New Year5 to all.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-10-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Post the Grainger part number please. Always good information to know. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2005 07:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They failed because they were probably never oiled! Lamphouse blowers of that type should be oiled once or tice a year with 30 weight non- detergent oil. If the oil lines are upside down then disassembly of the blower is in order to make it right. I would highly reccomend that you oil the other "still running" blower motors before they also fail. You will find a small oil hole at each end of the motor for this purpose. Three or four drops of oil in each once a year works wonders.

Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-11-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most U.S. based manufacturers use stock or modified blowers from Dayton which is the manufacturing division of Graingers. All the specified motors are sleeve bearing which require oiling as Mark said. European brands tend to use ball bearing type of blowers...more cost...some more noisy...but much less maintinance [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-11-2005 08:28 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the SLC 30 and 40 blowers? Apparently Anti-Christie don't supply the original blowers anymore, the current ones are larger and necessitate a new mounting bracket. Does anyone have a Grainger part# for the older, smaller one? Although the problem might be that there will be no cutout for the air flow switch to go through.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-11-2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Christie units they where custom modifications did by Dayton Electric with a special part number for the units....you will have to do some minor modifying.....a little drilling or cutting off ometal flanges to mount air vane switches.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
What about the SLC 30 and 40 blowers? Apparently Anti-Christie don't supply the original blowers anymore, the current ones are larger and necessitate a new mounting bracket. Does anyone have a Grainger part# for the older, smaller one? Although the problem might be that there will be no cutout for the air flow switch to go through.

Those are still available form Grainger but only in 12 volt version for what ever stupid reason. Sometimes we buy the 12 volt blower and a seperate 120 volt motor to make them up. Grainger appears to be also headed downhill as they also discontinued the ball bearing motor for the 7C038 blower I like for exhaust purposes. Only the sleeve beaing version is available which also necessitates oiling at least once a year. Emerson electric makes a ball bearing motor that fits but the construuction quality stinks.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-11-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the 12V version have an identical chassis and footprint only or also the opening for the switch?
I think the last time we had this problem, I bought a 120V blower from Grainger and we took out the motor and put it into the chassis of the old one, but I can't seem to find the part# for it.
There is definitely something to the going downhill theory. Last year I couldn't reach their website (Grainger`s) for weeks, maybe months.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it has the same foot print but you still have to modify it for the switch. Unfortunately I don't know the number off the top of my head. If you went to a WW braich they could probably help you figure it out. I just downloaded Graingers entire catalog onto my computer. no problems there from this end. When we install a Christie plenum kit into older consoles we always put in a new fan. I've done the fan conversion quite a few times in the last couple of years.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-12-2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, we used this motor: Dayton 3M292, and installed it into the old chassis.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&CatPage=158

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: