Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Found, Ex Paramount 3-D Stuff, Is It Any Good? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Found, Ex Paramount 3-D Stuff, Is It Any Good?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-08-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Found what seems to be very similar equipment to Stereovision's Flexaron mirror boxes, labeled Paramount, comes with complete instructions and everything necessary. Why rent when you can buy for $75 each? Check it out
www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2234.html
Is it worth buying at this price?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 01:01 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the paramount system side by side or top/bottom polarization. A friend produced a film in side by side polarization and I'm trying to find a lense cheap.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 01:11 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worth $75.00? You Betcha BUT, a few caveats are in order. These units require that your projector use a 4" lens collar. Also, they aren't particularly heavy but they are Bulky. They really are only good for over/under projection. If you wish to use them for side by side 3D anamorphic they will vignette with a prime lens below 4.5" in my experience. On the plus side being a front surface mirror device the image is cleaner & the focus sharper than with a prizmatic (IE Marks Polarator)attachment. The best feature is the easy to change polarizer sheet. A Great buy if you have the need for one. [Cool]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-08-2005 01:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like a over/under convergance unit. JAWS 3D and the other titles mentioned were split frame, top and bottom. The side by sides required an anamorphic lens.

Hmmm...Fred beat me to it.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2005 01:45 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That paramount unit was used for Friday the 13th part 3. It was an over/under production. It was not used on Jaws 3. That one used the over/under units provided by Stereovision.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are probably the best unit as one can also adjust the azimuth of the mirrors to align the corner convergance
With an intigrated anamorphic they will work on side by side down to 60mm
Also an adapter was available for use with standard 2 15/16" collars

Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the 3-D topic, a quick question...

I was told a while back that in order to project 3-D properly, you have to have a silver screen. Is this true?

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct.....a regular screen will cancel the polarization. A
silver screen will not.

fjn
Local 294 Ret.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2005 01:04 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"With an intigrated anamorphic they will work on side by side down to 60mm" Gordon, That's what I thought. I tried an integrated Isco 75mm with the mirror box flush with the front & it still vignetted. Tried 3 different boxes too. Am I doing something wrong? [Eek!]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-09-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know I use a 65mm at the kingsway for there side by side in my pair The only thing I changed was I took the centre pair of mirrors out and had the edge ground to a pionted joint

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We took out a set of paramount polarized lenses when we closed our old Monticello theater. The owners are gladly holding onto them!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2005 03:57 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ordered one of these last Wednesday and it arrive here in sunny Bradford yesterday. Pretty damned good service.

The unit is in amazing condition and I would be surprised if it has ever been used.Only missing items are line up film and spare cardboard masks.

Hope to try it out soon on front of our Vic8 in the IMAX theatre.

Looking through the latest copy of the catalogue interesting to see WW2 Kershaw Mk 3 Binoculars are available from the same company. these were made by Abraham Kershaw of Leeds of KALEE 21 fame

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-18-2005 05:41 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At that price I'd be tempted to buy one myself If I knew anywhere that had a suitable screen.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-19-2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
Looking through the latest copy of the catalogue interesting to see WW2 Kershaw Mk 3 Binoculars are available from the same company. these were made by Abraham Kershaw of Leeds of KALEE 21 fame
 -

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got one of these. The components were still sealed in plastic, including an extra set of polarizers. Looks like this one has never been used. Mine did include a test loop.

-

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: