Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone Handle These New 70mm Prints?

Author Topic: Anyone Handle These New 70mm Prints?
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious if anyone has handled (projectionists), booked (managers), or seen (moviegoers) any of the recently struck 70mm prints of the following titles. If so, when and where?

Hello, Dolly!
It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Lord Jim
Patton
Play Time
Those Magnificent Men...

[ 01-07-2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a new print of Patton? We projected a then-new 70mm (DTS/SV) at Ebertfest in April 2002.

I saw Playtime in Chicago last September.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 12:13 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Playtime at the Astor Theatre here in Melbourne last year. The 70mm/DTS print only screened for four sessions or so. The rest of the sessions was a new 35mm mono print. Apart from 2 or 3 shots that looked like 16mm blowup the print was fantastic.

It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World also screened at the Astor but I missed out but heard that was awesome as well.
It was also going to screen somewhere in NSW but the Cinema backed out apparently.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had all of these prints at the Paramount in Austin in the past year or so. We have had Baraka once a year for the past 3 years.

All the Fox titles came in on cores in boxes. At the time Dolly was like new but Patton had some signs of wear if I remember. If you need dates, I might be able to get them for you. Don't remember off the top of my head. I remember that we ran Patton and Dolly last year about this time or a little later. Magnificent Men, Baraka and Playtime was last summer. Mad World was shortly after it played at the Dome. Amazingly good looking print.

John

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 01:03 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World, new restored 70mm print. DTS sound. Projected in Ultra Panavision 70 at the Astor theatre here last year. The print was in excellent condition. (and as usual for this house, presentation was perfect..no affiliations etc..)

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 03:34 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
saw playtime last year and lord jim 2 years ago (i think) at the castro in s.f. i'd have to dig to get the actual dates.

i don't recall any problems with lord jim. playtime i think had some cinching at the reel ends. also there was a malfunction on one machine (lamphouse i think) so we were treated to extra intermissions.

carl

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello, Dolly!" was the best new print of an old movie I've ever seen, period. Utterly astonishing, wonderful, sharp as hell. Never saw an older film look as good... blows away many new films as well.

Jeff

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Playtime this last Wednesday at the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center. Beautiful print, not a scratch on it. Only thing I can think to say is that the cue marks are scratch-ons that are not uniformly placed position wise.

Mike, you'll be able to see all of these prints in 70mm. starting on the 28th at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. Check it!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mike, you'll be able to see all of these prints in 70mm. starting on the 28th at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. Check it!
I've seen all of 'em before. (We're lucky here in Southern California!) A couple of them are worth seeing again; so, yes, I'll be at the Aero in the coming weeks.

Re your link to the Aero schedule... you gotta love those "eye-pooping shorts" (under Feb. 5). Kudos to the Cinematheque's proof-readers. [Smile]

quote: Mark Ogden
I saw Playtime this last Wednesday at the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center.
This recent engagement was, as far as I can tell, the first time the film ran in New York City **in 70mm**. And for those interested in this sort of stuff, the "70mm In New York" article/film listing was recently updated to include this "Play Time" engagement.

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/70mm_in_new_york_main_page.htm

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
I saw Playtime this last Wednesday at the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center
quote: Michael Coate
This recent engagement was, as far as I can tell, the first time the film ran in New York City in 70mm.
Digging further, it turns out there were a few screenings of "Playtime" in 70mm during a Jacques Tati fest in 2000. This was likely a print from the early '90s restoration as the showings predated the recent restoration. The "70mm in New York" project has been updated accordingly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: