Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Art of Film Presentations

Author Topic: The Art of Film Presentations
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 04:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my post and pictures from the 1922 edition of "The Motion Picture Projection" of James R. Cameron, here is an opening statement from Sam L. "Roxy" Rothafel, in the 1922, 3rd Edition of the said title of the book above:

The picture of Samuel L. Rothafel

-

His statement supporting "the prophecy"

-

-

This statement from "Roxy" Rothafel,back in 1922, is what we projectionists, engineers and technicians are proud of having: these talents, skills, knowledge and this trade to this very day.

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] WOW!! That was such an awesome and fulfilling read! That is something I would want framed and put in the projection booth as a "creed" of sorts. If anyone fudges up a print or machine, you'll have PROOF that they're not a REAL projectionist. [thumbsup]

It further strengthens the argument against theater owners and chains that feel "anybody" can be trained how to thread a machine. You can train a monkey to hold a paintbrush, but painting the Mona Lisa versus making a mess is up to the monkey after that.

Thanks, Monte. That was great!

=TMP=

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Procyk
That is something I would want framed and put in the projection booth as a "creed" of sorts
Ping me an off-forum note to my mailbox and I can send you the fill size pictures of this "creed."

Thx and glad you liked these scans. - Monte

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me a little of my research into the world of carnival sideshows. The old-timers have no illusions about the business they were in or the "artistic" value of their presentations, but most of them had one point of preference: whether they had presented freaks, girl shows or anything else, their preferred title was "showman."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and yet, what's sad is that the "Era of the Showman" is at the brink of extinction being with the coming of the multiplexes. It's more of a "grind house" operation nowdays: get them in quick, take their money at the gate, take their money at the snakbar, show them movies that are run by the "monkeys"..then get them the hell out the door, and hope that they come back for more of the same treatment!"

And..almost like a production factory -operated by robots, run by robots and being treated by robots.

Kinda like we're seeing an event in full circle from the 1922 "prophecy" statement from Rothafel above to back before Rothafel made this comment. And it had taken 80 years to almost make that full circle.

What happened?

-thx Monte

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rothafel was not the only voice that, if heard today, would be "crying in wilderness."

The Sixth Edition of F. H. Richardson's BLUEBOOK OF PROJECTION has a forward by no less a film legend than Adolph Zukor, then Chairman of Paramount Pictures, who summarized the art of projection and honored Mr. Richardson. His are words, too, are well worth reading.

“There comes in the career of every motion picture that final occasion when all the artistry, all the earnest constructive endeavor of all the man-power and genius of the industry, and all the capital investment, too, must pour through the narrow gate of the projector on its way to the fulfillment of its purpose, the final delivery to the public.

“That delivery is a constant miracle of men and mechanism in the projection rooms of the world’s fifty thousand theatres. That narrow ribbon, thirty-five millimeters, flowing at twenty-four frames a second through the scintillating blaze of the spot at the picture aperture and coursing by at an exactingly-precise 90 feet a minute past the light slit of the sound system, demands a quality of skill and faithful, unfailing attention upon which the whole great industry depends.

“The projector lens is the neck in the bottle through which all must pass. The projectionist presiding over that mechanism is responsible for the ultimate performance upon which we must all depend.

“The projector must not fail, and more importantly still, the man must not fail or permit it to waiver in its performance. It is to the tremendous credit of the skill of the modern projectionist that perfect presentation of the motion picture upon the screen is today a commonplace, a perfection that is taken as a matter of course.

“For more than a quarter of a century now F. H. Richardson, author of this and the Bluebooks that have gone before, has been the philosopher, friend and guide of the projectionists. He began in the nickelodeon days when the two-pin Edison projector was considered a wonderful machine, and he has continued, becoming himself an institution along with the developing art, into this day of the amazing complexities and large responsibilities of the modern projection room, with its maze of machinery and all the delicate, intricate devices that are involved in sound picture reproduction.

“It is appropriate that here in this place one who has shared and experienced these years of the building of the screen into its world dominion as an amusement medium should record the industry’s recognition of Mr. Richardson’s long and diligent service and his valued contributions to the progress of the motion picture art.”

Amen.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we term "Carney's" are "Showmen" in England. "Carnivals" are "Fairs" there. They take great pride in their 'craft', too. I've spent time with some of them in connection with another interest of mine, Fairground Organs (Band Organs, to us, though American Band Organs are very puny in comparison). The Showmen still use large organs on beautiful old rides (the rides and organs were made in the early 1900's), most of which have been passed-down through several generations of the family. They have new rides too, of course. [Smile]

Great posting, Monte. Takes me back to when most folks took great pride in what they did for a living, and took care to do it properly without expectations of being coddled and protected along the way.

Ron Yost

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2005 03:04 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I do not think that my statement is far-fetched when I say that I expect some day to see my projectionists work in evening clothes, and the chief projectionist execute his duties in the capacity of an executive only. In that day they will deservedly be numbered among the best paid artists in the moving picture industry."

Well at least he was right about some other things...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-09-2005 03:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Yauch
Well at least he was right about some other things
Damned skippy right! We deserved to be paid well..for the "monkeys" haven't a clue how to do it right and do it with style. - Monte

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2005 06:31 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, Monte! Its just that we are used to being paid in appreciation rather than cash(yeah, right...)

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thread and the comments were excellent. Thanks guys!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: