Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » X-L Framing Lamp Switch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: X-L Framing Lamp Switch
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-06-2005 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's an original part number for the Simplex 35 / X-L (PR1014) threading lamp switch, the one the door depresses? It's P1820 in the manual.

For that matter what are the bulbs? I should get a few of those, too.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should ask. We got a bag of those thin little micros in from Strong today. Expensive little buggers too. Personally I replace the lamp with a bright White LED thats lit all the time. Just break the bad lamp out of the socket and solder in a large LED aimed at the aperature. If you get just the right LED it will project a spot of light just the right size on the framing aperature. It works far better than Strongs square LED thingy. To supply it just use a wall wort and appropriate dropping resistor. Its the last one you will ever install! We also do this for the DP-70.

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-07-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamps are offically #55s. I prefer the soft glow of the little lamps to that of LEDs.

Steve

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-07-2005 01:41 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What affect does this (and other ambient lighting) excessive extraneous light entering the lens (at odd angles and bouncing around inside the lens) have on the on-screen image? I would assume that, after a point, there is a loss of contrast or other optical effects similar to those that occur when light reflects off of the port window back into the lens.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or you can use #1892, which are the 12v variety of the 6v #55. Last forever even though the glow is dim, but enough luminance in the frame box to light up the film to frame. - thx Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2005 08:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I prefer the soft glow of the little lamps to that of LEDs.

I have to chuckle at that as I prefer the reliability of the LED over the sexy glow of the 55 lamp. The LED also allows one to frame the film under the full illumination of track lighting or what ever overhead lights are being used.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
Last forever even though the glow is dim
Why even bother with a framing lamp at all if you are using a 12 volt lamp in there? Its more like a lightning bug.

Mark @ CLACO

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, it'd be nice to have a framing lamp that worked. I have to frame to the glow of the arc lamp. Through a shut douser, of course.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] And the part number of the switch is...? [Confused]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 10:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the actual switch manufacturer's number or just some other Strong part number?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 11:04 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever enables ordering one from Newark, Grainger, or whomever.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will probably have to order it from Strong!! Its a non standard type switch and is very similar to the switch used in the DP-70... although not an exact copy. Its very thin compared to most US made micros. Cost from Strong on that switch I believe is over 30 bucks....... [Eek!] .

Am curious why you just don't call Wolk since they are in your neck of the woods...... They would probably sell to you.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I didn't realize it's such a special item. I saw a switch and presumed it was some common item I would replace like any other electrical component.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The info on the switch in my 1986 PR-1014's is: Acro Switches Part Number: 224-2114-02.

They of course are long out of business but perhaps one of these companies could do a cross to a replacement snap-action "microswitch".

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 09:10 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my X-L I bought a miniature SPDT lever-actuated microswitch at a local electronics surplus store, bent the lever into a U with a little tab sticking out, then mounted the switch with one screw and wired the light through the switch's normally-closed circuit. It's not stock, but it works like a charm and cost only a few dollars.

See for yourself...

-

The switch is a Cherry DA3C-D1AA. Onlinecomponents.com has these switches for less than three bucks apiece. Even though I have not tried this vendor and cannot endorse them, it's worth a try.

Good luck! [thumbsup]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 01:29 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Acro Switch # 224-2114-02 crosses to a Cemco (Columbus Electric Manufacturing Company) # JMP-500.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: