Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Signs of a worn intermittant?

Author Topic: Signs of a worn intermittant?
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Philips FP3 portable I use at home. I think I'm probably a bit fussy, but I've noticed a vertical jitter on the picture. I only project a picture about 6' wide but I notice a small vertical movement form afar and if I go closeto the screen, I reckon the picture is moving about 2 or 3mm up and down.

Can I assume it's a worn intermittent? Is there any way of telling?

I have moved the intermittent into a position where the cam is engaging with the star and tried to see if there is any movement in the sprocket at that point and there isn't. I've watched closely the sprocket while running it looks fine. It doesn't make a noise while running (apart from a quiet 'tick' which I believe most FP3's make).

The gate runner I use on my FP3 has felt on the surface and that is I suppose getting worn but I've also borrowed a metal runner and that doesn't make any difference.

Obviously I hope it isn't the mech because finding a replacement would be hard for such an old machine and no doubt expensive.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many signs including your symptom in some cases. Normally the movements run almost silent and your FP-3 movement should. If its making any loud knocking or clunking sound while its running WITHOUT FILM then it may be suspect. If its silent then you may have some sort of trap or gate problem. That machine has a rather odd gate design but its a nice machine. Parts may not be that expensive over there like here where they get needlessly jacked up in price.

Mark @ CLACO

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 03:08 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely not making a loud clunking noise. It's sounds a quiet as it's always been.

I just wondered whether there could still be a problem with the mech even though externally it appears quite sound.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's the INTermittent sprocket?

does the sprocket have notches cut across the base of the sprocket teeth? If the base of the tooth is grooved lengthwise, this will cause some of that vertical jitter since the film is actually being "hooked" as the film slides into the groove as it's being pulled down, then "snags" going out when the film is leaving the tooth when the sprocket is turning to pull down the next frame, instead of the smooth, continual pull and release of the film as a new/normal sprocket would do.

Also, is the sprocket the "narrow tooth" variety (a sprocket designed for the smaller "fox sprocket hole" prints for magnetic sound), or is the normal "wide tooth" variety? Narrow tooth variety had a small tendency to wear sooner due to the smaller pull area of the tooth than the wider version.

Also, does the teeth of the sprocket looks "hooked" - teeth that looks like they are leaning backwards? If this is so, either reverse the sprocket, or replace. "Hooked" sprockets are good for this as well.

Check gate/trap tension, for this will be some of the faults of the excessive sprocket wear.

good luck- Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that machine the Sprocket is probably not hooked, this is a home setup remember. Those Phillips sprockets are hard beyond belief and the wooden gate in the FP-3 is also very gentle and friction free. Were the spricket hooked you would also find and accompaning accumulation of dust after running any amount of film through it.
Another thought is that it couls also be a framer mechanism related problem. I believe this machine also uses a coupling to frame as the FP-20 does.

Mark

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 10:46 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

The sprocket looks fine - it is not hooked and I don't think it's the smaller type sprocket. As Mark says, this is a home setup not subject to the continual use of a full-size setup.

The framer mech is nice and tight, there is no movement there.

Mark, my FP3 has a plastic trap rather than the more usual wooden one - would that make a difference?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not any difference at all. They just don't make the wood gate any longer. The plastic is even better though as long as its not worn excessivly. If it appears to be worn alot at certain areas then you might want to replace it. Even the plastic gates last a long time in a home situation. Exactly what condition is the velvet in?

Mark

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The velvet is worn but not down to the base or so that the adhesive is through.

Is there anywhere that will service an old Philips intermittent and set it up right?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-08-2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Kinoton Munich will or at least they can put you in touch who does that in England. They took the projectors over from Philips and they supply old Philips and Bauer parts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: