Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bx-100 bakelite Shutter drive gear burnout...

Author Topic: Bx-100 bakelite Shutter drive gear burnout...
Ryan Plaisted
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Ryan Plaisted   Email Ryan Plaisted   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the bakelite gear (x-3603c) rip into shreds 3 times in the last eight months or so. I can't figure it out. My guess is that something is seizing up, possibly because of poor lubrication, causing the gears to stop while the momentum of the shutters break apart the bakelite gear. When the bakelite gear goes, there is a quick loud bang and then the projector seems to keep running fine, while the shutters slow to a stop. There isn't any binding when turning it over by hand. The motor, recently, has been taking an excessively long time to get to speed. Over the last few months I've tried replacing most of the gears and assemblies in the projector and the soundhead thinking they were the culprit, and I tried a spare motor to no effect. I've run out of ideas.

Anybody have a similar problem or a suggestion?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-05-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real Brenkert gears or Wolk gears? Because I know that will be someone's first question. [Roll Eyes]

Ryan Plaisted
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 05:49 AM      Profile for Ryan Plaisted   Email Ryan Plaisted   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're Wolk gears at this point. Or at least, I get them from Wolk. Is there a source for Brenkert gears? Are you suggesting that Wolk makes bad gears or that original Brenkert's aren't any good?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-06-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wolk has had the manufacturing rights since 1959; so with the exception of some gears out of Japan and India and some uncovered stash of original new Brenkert parts have fun looking.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went thorough this a number of years back. The Wolk gears will last about 3 weeks to the second! You will have to locate an original Brenkert made gear to get any useful life out of it. The weave of the phenolic on the Wolk gear is way to corse and they literally fall apart while running. I replaced gears in 4 BX-100's about 20 years ago with originals and they are still running to this day!!

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-06-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt the real ones must be getting scarce. Surely Wolk can find something else to make those out of. If good phenolic cannot be had I'm sure there must be some other suitable material.

But it could still be something seizing up I suppose.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wolk no longer makes any Brenkert parts at all. Its whats left on the shelves....... Custom gears could be made at great expense though. Ther is one pair of BX-40's still running out here... at least till the gears blow [Eek!] .

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had gears made locally for wassmans and bauer U2 in fact the verticle shaft for a DP75 and it wasn't all that expensive to have done if they have enough of the original gear to set up to

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: