Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with Dolby CP-500

Author Topic: Problem with Dolby CP-500
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 07:37 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my theaters is having a problem with there Dolby CP-500. I haven't had a chance to make the 80 mile trek to listen to it but the projectionist told me that the 'dialogue' cuts out but the musical soundtrack is still audible. When he cuts all power to the unit and starts it back up it works fine. I'm assuming when he says that the 'dialogue' is cutting out I think he means that either the left, center, or right screen (or a combination of all three) is cutting out. Could this be a card? An amp? Any advice would be helpful.

|  IP: Logged

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it sounds fine on the booth monitor then it's a problem with the amps as far as I know. Here we have breakers by each projector so we can kill each channel one at a time and reset them creating only a minor disturbance, which usually fixes the problem, we use CP-500s as well. Anything to keep sound going is a plus. I know we've had this problem a couple of times due to shorts in the wiring for the amps, but the other guys here should be able to fill you with slightly more useful information.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be a bad centre-channel amplifier. This should be confirmable with the monitor (provided the monitor can monitor both processor and speaker outputs). Get them to run in by-pass for now, until you get there. (This should get you dialogue out the left and right stage speakers).

BTW. The 500 starts up in by-pass mode until it "kicks in". This is why you have sound at start-up.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also another possibility..and this could be the processor itself: The chassis backplane momboard could be giving you fits as well.

Shut the unit down, pull out all the cards, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and reinsert the cards. See if that clears things up some. I've replaced two backplane momboards that developed hairline cracks in these CP-500's during my term with EDW's with similar problems.

If you want to see if amp problem is the source: switch wiring (either output or input) with another amp to see if the problem follows to that amp. If not, then you've "condemned" that area of the problem.

Next, is the switch out cards from another processor, one at a time between the two processors running some sort of dialog loop from a trailer for test,(course switching each unit off before card pulling...) to see if you can "condemn" this area of the problem. Even the power supply can be "condemned" if necessary.

There's lot's of possibilities that can be "condemned" to find lots of problems with sound - the "A" chain and the "B" chain of the line.

It's worth a try and an idea. good luck-Monte

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does your monitor have the abillity to check the source. Does it have processor mode or amp mode on it. If you hear sound in the processor mode but not in the amp mode then the problem lies in the amps. If you can hear no sound in either mode then the problem is in the processor.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte's on the right path. One of my 500's did this on and off, throughout a few different films until I pulled everything and cleaned the dust off the boards. You should dust out thos units fairly regularly.

Maddison Lake
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Maddison Lake   Email Maddison Lake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two theatres on the CP-500, I hate the processors with a passion! The SDDS systems I have found has major compatibility issues with certain prints, for instance spanglish works great on them, and meet the fockers pops in and out like crazy. I have checked the amp system and it seems that it is fine. The SDDS systems are old, quarky, and malfunctions all the time, believe me, I have been begging for them to upgrade those houses to DTS soon. I still havent figured out my problem, any help would be great!

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dialogue is mainly center speaker, try setting the box so that it sends center channel to left or right, that should tell you if it's an amp problem or if the box is glitchy. I'd also reccomend a through going-over of all the boards with compressed air and an anti-static brush for the pin connectors. Doing that improved our box no end.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'll give your advice a try as soon as I can mosey down into that neck of the woods again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: