Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital Projection closer than we thought? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Projection closer than we thought?
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night when I attended a screening of "Darkness" I grabbed a copy of FAMOUS magazine and FAMOUS KIDZ, just for some reading material before the show. I was also actually surprised how this Famous Players presentation had no scratches, no dirt, no bad splices- no imperfections whatsoever (This theatre especially is known for destroying every print to the point where they should have paid you to come in the door, but hey, they've got a lightshow in the lobby so its all good).

Anyways, back to my story, I started flipping through Famous Kidz and there was an article ("behind the scenes- WHAT DO YOU DO") about looking for your first job. They interviewed several minimum wage workers at the Paramount theatre in downtown Toronto.

On the second page of this article, there's a picture of a console and projector and a shelf with many film cans on it. It is accompanied by this blurb:
"DID YOU KNOW... that in as little as seven years many theatres might not be dealing with reels of film anymore? Eventually, movies will be stored digitally on DVDs, which will be a lot easier to copy, and a lot lighter to carry around. Right now, the film for an average movie comes in two big, heavy octagonal metal cases - and each one weighs about 35 pounds!"

Is the end of film actually approaching us that quickly? Where did they get that figure of seven years?

Any comments?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-29-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They got that figure the same place every other such article has gotten their figures....they made it up. (Or took someone's "educated guess" as gospel.)

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-29-2004 05:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
Eventually, movies will be stored digitally on DVDs, which will be a lot easier to copy
[uhoh]

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't have said it better myself, Adam.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 12-29-2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
easier to copy
This means I can cut down on staff hours for my bootlegging business. [thumbsup]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes...and plasma TV's put out the best picture

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 01:16 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
yes...and plasma TV's put out the best picture

This statement reminds me of a commercial I cannot escape. It is on so often and on so many channels, it's ridiculous. It's for Hitachi's new flat-panel TVs and basically states that it has as good a picture as film because it's thin, like film. [Roll Eyes]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it's for their technology for the Virtual 1080p that they have on their big screen TVs. They (LCD and CRT Projection) put out a nice image, I have yet to see the Plasma...

also, did you notice that the film they use in the ad is 5-perf? [Roll Eyes]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-30-2004 02:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you guys are actually answering in this thread. Oh wait, I am too [Eek!] !

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2004 02:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and it seens like this topic was hashed over on other threads of the complexity, the cost, the reliability,the demand, et.al. of digital projection.

Let the rich and the famous have their digital projection devices-who can shell out millions for a medium that changes like our underwear.

Film, in any size of MM is here to stay, for it has proven itself of being 100% reliable. So why make the changes?

It'd be generations for digital to finally take over the photographic film presentation industry. And by then, we'd all be "pushing up dandelions."

So, what's the BFD in getting all worked up about this?

-thx Monte

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 07:20 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You da man, Monte

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 10:06 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the kids, Monte. Won't someone please think of the kids?

Justin Villasenor
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 11:49 AM      Profile for Justin Villasenor   Email Justin Villasenor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stored on DVDs?

If anything they'd probablly stick em on something like laserdisks, so that less compression would have to be used.

Ken Russell
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Ken Russell   Email Ken Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or... us the technology reported in another thread describing a DVD that has 100 times the capacity.
DVD 100 times capacity

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Hey! Now I personally find "Famous Kidz" to be a very reputable news source. Especially because they spell "KidZ" so wicked-hella-teh cool! There will be no second-guessing of the Famous Kidz publication here anymore, or I am locking this thread.

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: