Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MUT problems

Author Topic: MUT problems
James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2004 04:15 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I've been having trouble with out MUT not breaking down properly. We have Speco platters, the 270 model, I believe, and the newer MUT, the one on wheels. When I turn the speed up, it breaks down normally, but only for about 100 feet, then it just stop entirely, and I can smell rubber burning.. When you turn the speed all the way down, the platter motor starts to take up slightly. Any idea what might be wrong with it? I haven't had the chance to open it up and look at it yet, but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before, and what I should look for when I do open it up?

The only temporary solution I've been able to come up with is to unplug the platter motor, which I know is probably a bad idea, but there was no other way to everything done on time. Also, I've tried it on several platters, so I don't think they are the problem.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2004 05:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might have a problem with the button control panel with the bank of buttons-one button isn't completely separating the current from the platter motor, esp where you mention of the platter creeping slightly. Current might be backpedaling in the system due to this. You have to remember that when a platter motor is going in reverse, you, in a way, have a DC generator creating current,esp if the field (stator) winding is still receiving some sort of voltage or load from an outside source.

No, there isn't anything wrong with disconnecting the motor power from the tower since the motor's drive tire is giving some rotational resistance for a even film rewind. For on breakdown, the motor is completely disconnected anyway with the "makeup" button being pressed in. But do check this out as quick as possible.

These ideas above are just logical assumptions, for the LP-270's that I've operated with (and my MUT was the LP-271) never had this sort of problem, just the plug-in, 8-pin diode thingy would short out at times taking out the fuses in the base.

-good luck - Monte

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2004 12:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That rubber smell is the rubber drive wheel inside the mutt slipping. What you need is to have the mutt upgraded with a newer type drive. Basically instead of relying on the weight of the motor and spring to hold pressure on the fly wheel assembly you have a belt and a belt driven fly wheel assembly. This is a much improved design over what was there. You can also break down without having to push the blue breakdown button in. Just leave all the buttons out. All the break down button does is allow you to use the breaking switch on the mutt. It serves no other purpose that I have found.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: