Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Has Anyone Used Jack Roe Test Films? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Has Anyone Used Jack Roe Test Films?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the poor (almost non existant) availability of SMPTE test film materials Jack Roe has made their own Buzz track and other test films. Has anyone used these films and or compared them to the SMPTE materials?

Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-28-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nope didn't know they had any there web site only list SMPTE test films
for cutting appertures for years I used my ownequivelent of 35PA (that showed just the common sized lines)that I had an optical house prepare and then verify the finnished paltes against smpte 35PA

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 03:32 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant believe there is a shotage of Buzz track as it is the one of the most used films for A chain set ups.
A collegue just ordered some 70mm line up direct from SMPTE no problem, they just made it to order, presume they would do the same for the more used 35mm

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-30-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70-PA is duplicated film.

P35-BT (Buzz Track) is camera original film as it is currently made (it is actually a photographed target just like RP-40). The same source makes both films so if there is a 35-PA shortage, then there could quite possibly a P35-BT shortage.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-30-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do they do photograph that type of target

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should get off there ass and get some work done, as there is obviously a need at present

Darren

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a bit funny as when you call SMPTE about test films or to chack availability they ask you to call or e-mail some people over in France to bug them about making it. Not very good for a supposed professional organization!!

We did recevie a sample of the Jack Roe stuff. The only difference I see is that its recorded with different frequencies from what SMPTE is using. Initial checkout of it on an optical comparator looks very good too. So at least now there is a second choice.

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 06:34 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Its a bit funny as when you call SMPTE about test films or to chack availability they ask you to call or e-mail some people over in France to bug them about making it.
Many of the SMPTE test films were made by Stan D. of DEL in Ridgefield Connecticut. Has the vendor changed?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know John but I will post that e-mail address here on Monday since SMPTE is giving it out. Either the source has changed or the gal at SMPTE doesn't know what she is talking about. We have had it on order for about 5 months now which IMHO is ludicrous for a standards organization.

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 04:35 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...P35-BT (buzz track) is done on the same apparatus that produces 35-PA, a pin-registered camera?

I thought we had in the past discussed alignment issues with 35-PA being called into question because projectors are edge-registered. One would think this would be even more of an issue for buzz track, no?

It seems odd that SMPTE would have put all this effort into creating 35-PL (Theatrical Projection Leader) if the existing useful test films aren't being handled. Do the test films fall under a particular committee (e.g. P3)? Who's the current chair?

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2005 05:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Stan photographed the Buzz track target to create the audio test film. Ever noticed that each frame now has its label and that there is a slight overlap?

I don't believe it is the same film stock though. The camera was never in question for 35-PA...it was the film stock's slitting and perforation process.

Magenta 35-IQ has always been steady and uses the same camera.

Steve

Dave Bevilacqua
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 07:37 PM      Profile for Dave Bevilacqua   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bevilacqua   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, thanks for the review of the new "Buzz" Track. We have already gone thru our initial stock of 500ft! We have also produced a 9kHz test film for the few people that need that as well. Both are polyester based and sold in 10' sections so you don't have to shell out a fortune for a single loop.

Dave Bevilacqua
Jack Roe USA Inc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

Yea, it seems to work just fine and I'm glad there is a second source now. One HAS to wonder if Stan D and his pin regestered wonders are even still around..... or perhaps the chair of that department was relegated to an antique store or something.

The film industry has had way too many long waits over the years for such a simple thing!!

Thanks!
Mark

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you tried this new Buzz Track from Jack Roe & it seems to work fine...we are in dire need of this film, I am down to about 20' of Buzz from SMPTE....where can we get this ??? Thanks for the tip...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,
You order it from the man two posts above. Unfortunately he underestimated the amount he needed and is also out but he will have more mid January. I am also down to about 20 feet of SMPTE bizz and am saving it for an upcomming install.... but the Jack Roe stuff works just fine.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: