Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Equipment Personalization

Author Topic: Equipment Personalization
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that caught my attention long ago (that I put in the back of my mind) was the fact that on some brands of equipment, a chain will have their company logo in the same spot as other chains.

To describe this in more detail, the Highlight II console by Strong has a small metal bar that splits the upper lamphouse of the console from the automation and lower space. On this metal bar in their older literature, it shows a Famous Players logo in red. In the pictures of the AMC (Grand, I think) it also shows the consoles with AMC's logo in red.

Who makes these little logo 'things', how much extra does it cost, and why do these companies do it?

Just as a side question, are there any companies that could make an automation system for you that's personalized? Lets say Famous takes the Cinemation design, but it could be called "Famous AutomaTEK" or something like that, with no Cinemation logos, name or anything. Are there companies like that in operation if a company wanted to brand some equipment itself?

Thanks for reading!

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they put those there for when the theater eventually closes, and is reopened by another chain or an independent. Or, if a company buys out another company (as with Regal/UA/Edwards) so that when people from Film-Tech or Cinematour come to take pictures, they know what the theater used to be. [Big Grin]

Really, I don't know. Probably if the company orders a bunch of equipment, the manufacturer puts the logo on there. Or if the equipment is modified for or designed for that specific chain. (All D-150 equipment for example had the United Artists logo)

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-26-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any piece of equipment can be inexpensively silk screened with a companys logo or name. We had some of those Cineplex consoles go through our shops a couple of years ago and the silkscreening was easily removed with some laquer thinner. Smart does this for Carmike and others on pre-wired sound racks. I also had my company name on single space filler panels so I could be on each sound rack that I wired and so on.

Apparently not all D-150 equipment had the U.A. logo as my Super Curvalon does not bear their logo at all. Just the Kollmorgen and D-150 logos.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-26-2004 11:10 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 80s when Edwards was growing like crazy, they had the Edwards logo applied to some of their newly-purchased booth equipment.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Act 3 Theatres had their name silkscreened on all the Strong Super Highlight 2 consoles they bought by the truckload from Strong. Act 3 had Strong customize the consoles for their circuit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2004 05:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
they had the Edwards logo applied to some of their newly-purchased booth equipment
..like this pix below:

-

This is one of the EDW's I used to work at - I was part of the install team before being presentation manager/engineer for EDW at this theatre. (I miss EDW's .. REG messed things up some..)

also...

"CinaclePlex" Odeon had their "Multi-Ring Oval" trademark in their booths as well..

-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-27-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, that looks just like my booth!

-

Typical 1998 Edwards booth.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2004 08:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of pictures Monte... where's your picture? Please send in a recent shot to Brad!!! That way all your posts are personalized.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2004 05:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Please send in a recent shot to Brad!!! That way all your posts are personalized
True Marko - I need to get working on this picture for Brad. Now with the Christmas rush kinda slowing down, I can get working on this. -thx Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: