Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP55 - Cat321 - SRA5 question

Author Topic: Dolby CP55 - Cat321 - SRA5 question
Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 04:23 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a Dolby CP55 soon and this unit will be replacing my CP50 but the CP55 doesn't have a cat.321 automation card.
I have a SRA5 hooked up to the CP50 and off course I want to use it also with the CP55, in the manual of the SRA5 Dolby says you need a cat.321 to hook up the SRA5, can it be done without and can I connect my Cinemation IV on the J5 automation port on the backplane of the CP55 ?

If I need a cat.321 is this a easy card to find ?

Best wishes for the holidays,
Serge

|  IP: Logged

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 07:02 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Yes and no ! You can get away without a 321, two ways..

1. Dont automate it - leave it active all the time - few films are in A type but you MUST turn the SRA5 off when running A type

or..

2. The CP55 formats are internally switched using a three bit word. By chance, one of these lines can be used as the other times it is active it doesnt affect the analogue. Try this..

no 321 - connect id7 to pin 7 of automation d connector (female on chassis, needs flying male)

Good luck

Cheers

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 09:04 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may interject;

Peter is quite right about that, but I would add that you ought install it to the CP55, by the method described in the DA20 manual, not the original method as described in the SRA5 manual.

It works much better and there's no calibrating to be done.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and you dont have to go back when someone tweaks what they think is the non sync controls..

Must be cold in Scotland - have a good Xmas Pete..

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I was also wondering if I would follow the method in the SRA5 manual but after reading the method in de DA20 manual, the latter seems the best way to hook up the SRA5. [beer]

Serge

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more easy....no 321
just solder 2 wires from id7 and sr/ on sra5 to the cat 247 switch ID7 and ID6

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: