Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning Masking Curtains

Author Topic: Cleaning Masking Curtains
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did some searching but I didn't see much relating to the topic...

Our GM suggested we vacuum the maskings on a weekly basis...I think a more regular masking cleaning would be great but I'm not keen on using the vacuum we have. It's a Dirt Devil upright with a very short hose and a couple lame attachments.

Unless we can attach a longer hose to it there's no way we could do any more than half the masking in our biggest house leaving the top half dusty.

In the past I've had limited success with a dry swiffer. At the very least it gets rid of the stuff on the top surface of the cloth and makes it look pretty. Unfortunately it's a pain and it takes a lot of swiffer pads.

At another theater I worked at we had a very small vacuum that resembled a mini-shop vac. It was small enough to carry up the ladder and had a brush attachment that worked very well.

Is anyone else vacuuming their masking or is there a better way?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Get a tall step ladder, a backpack, or small "Hoover", or "Dust Devil" vac with the hose attachment, long extension cord and have at it - 'bout the only way to clean. Tell the custodians to not to blow so hard down by the screens since they're blowing up a bunch of dust which loves to stick to maskings and the screens when blowing down the refuse to be swept up, and have then clean behind the screens as well. It gets pretty messy back there and you don't know what "growing", "living", and being "created" back there with all of that refuse that is left behind.....

AND...since you're up there on the stepladder with that vac cleaning off the maskings, take that stepladder and backvac and go behind the screen and get serious with vacumming as well. For all of those "dustbunnies" that get attached to the back of the screen is causing the high frequencies, which is being broadcast from the HF horns, to be muffled some. For the HF's are trying to "scream" through all of those "dustbunnies".

Sound tekkies hate this - on wondering why HF's are not being clear as they should.

Good luck on this task. - thx Monte

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleaning... the masking?

I am perplexed.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-18-2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weekly sure sounds like overkill to me--can't imagine a dirt/dust problem inside a building serious enough to justify such a cleaning frequency.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, once maybe twice a year tops.

Some HF horns have gauzes in them (I believe to stop ingress of mice/insects) that love to block up with muck. It's worth cleangin those once a blue moon too.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Weekly sure sounds like overkill to me--can't imagine a dirt/dust problem inside a building serious enough to justify such a cleaning frequency.
The theater is in an agricultural town with fields less than 2 blocks away from it. Unfortunately, as with most places in the central valley, dust is a HUGE problem.
Obviously it doesn't help that the janitors use blowers, but that's what they have to do.
We clean screens bi-weekly most of the time and port glass friday thru sunday. If we don't do the glass every morning after the janitors have at it there's just way too much dust on the glass. Looks aweful.

I guess I'll be shopping around for prices on a good little cheapie-vac, I can't stand that stupid upright. I'll post back when I find a good solution.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-20-2004 09:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Obviously it doesn't help that the janitors use blowers, but that's what they have to do.

I suspect that using blowers to clean the auditorium is MOST of the reason dust on the screen and masking is such a problem. [thumbsdown]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, why do janitors do that!?!? It only causes a bigger mess and it's not really "easier" because you have to sweep it up anyway. (Unless you're like most janitors and leave it all behind the screen or under the curtain! Grrr...) I can *maybe* see the logic in using them on a sloped-floor style, (and even then, using a push broom to sweep everything forward under the seats accomplishes the same task) but I have seen janitors using blowers in STADIUM auditoriums!! Now how in the world is that easier? You still blow everything into the aisle, and then blow it forward while stirring it all up... a broom would be easier!

Re: Masking curtains,
Personally, I'd do it once every two months. Maybe more often during the slower season. But by "personally" I don't mean me myself. You'd never get me higher than 4 steps up that ladder! [Wink]
At the same time, you could do an overall "check" of the general screen area for problems. (and see if the janitors are still leaving stuff...)

I have horrible allergies, so to me things seem to get dusty long before they do to "normal" people. [Smile]

=TMP=

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I can see their logic. It prevents them having to bend down and sweep under the seats.
If I had it my way they'd do it like I used to when I was an usher and just shove it all out to the steps and sweep it up. Sure it's an extra step over sweeping where you stand but you can get it all done in one fell swoop which is much easier when the auditorium is packed with shit.
Of course if they still wanted to use blowers that'd be alright with me as long as they blew it all out to the steps. They've gotta vacuum anyway.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't so terribly long ago that screens and masking were protected by curtains, a tidy bonus to their affect on showmanship. Ah, progress! [Wink]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-21-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that is how they got the name dustcatchers by the bean counters when they started to not put them in [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: