Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lemony Snicket's : Black bar at top in some early scenes?

Author Topic: Lemony Snicket's : Black bar at top in some early scenes?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, First show of Lemony tonight and apparently the lab spliced War Of The Worlds trailer (Attatched) on bad. We re-adjust the framing and a few scenes in the beginning of the film have this strange black bar at the top. Other scenes are full screen.

We reframe and get rid of the black bar, and it looks absolutely fine for the rest of the night.

Was I seeing the thick frameline on flat films on screen or what?

|  IP: Logged

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 02:18 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From your description it sounds like the trailer was spliced just a bit out of frame. Try removing it and using a frameline ruler to make sure it's reattached correctly.

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 02:51 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had a bad splice between the attached trailer and the print. Did anyone else see this problem? It was a bear to fix -_-

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always check for a bad splice when ever they attach a trailer to the print. THis one was not out of frame but they did leave the splice here message instead of cutting it out. So I had to cut it out.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting. Both of my prints had the attached trailer spliced out of frame (2 sprockets)

Since you other guys are reporting the same thing, and ETS depot locations are different for everyone, this would indicate a wide spread problem.

Confirms one of the major rules of film done right- Always check the other guy's work when it comes to splices.

Matt Manalis
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Matt Manalis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Manalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny you guys mention that. i have the Madagascar trailer attched to my print of lemony snickit and the trailer is joined out of frame 2 sprockets on the start and the end didn't even think about checking it as it came from the lab like it so i thought it would have to be right "silly me last time i won't check a lab join"

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the same problem with our Snickets. I mentioned already in another thread, but figured I'd chime in here too. How hard is it to splice on a trailer? Ridiculous.

AJG

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print I received from the AMC Block 30 had the green band attached to R-1 leader, but the cut made where the trailer was removed made the film go out of frame by one sprocket. Our other print, print #28, also had no attached trailer, but the print was in immaculate shape, including the first reel-no frame issues.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 05:45 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know if our attached were spliced in frame or not because we remove all attached trailers so we can put our company trailer and a dolby trailer in after them.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Yauch
I wouldn't know if our attached were spliced in frame or not because we remove all attached trailers so we can put our company trailer and a dolby trailer in after them.

Yes you would...because when you screen the print it will either go out of frame at the beginning of your policy/sound trailers or at the beginning of your feature.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, now that you say that I realize that it does get checked, because we check everything before we splice it back onto the print. Somehow it wasn't adding up in my head...

Michael Wilkinson
The Entertainment King of Colusa and Beyond

- posted 12-21-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I had the same problem.
The attached "War of the Worlds" preview was out of frame. Obviously whoever put the preview on had no concept, or didn't care, that such a thing as framing exists.
The film's original leader was cut two sprockets off and the "attached preview" was cut out of frame at both the head and tail. 3 places for one little preview!!!!!!
I usually don't worry too much about attached trailers on new prints because it seems that most of the time they are either part of the first reel or, until now I thought, attached at the lab. This is the first hand spliced trailer that I can recall. (maybe because I haven't had a problem before)
The guard will be up for the next "attached" trailer.

Maybe (if ETS is responsible for this) this is worthy of the "You Suck" thread as well. [thumbsdown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: