Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rick McCallum, Star Wars producer on the expected film presentation of Episode III (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Rick McCallum, Star Wars producer on the expected film presentation of Episode III
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-11-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this really interesting. This is a quote from an article on the pay side of starwars.com. I'll post the link, but you need to be a member to get there. I won't quote the whole article, because that would probably violate some copyright or some such thing, but I'll only post the part that's relevant to discussion here.

Link Here

quote:
Rick [McCallum, Producer,] notes that none of the [Episode III] shots have been timed yet. "And once it'll get down to film, there'll be an amazing loss of resolution," he says, echoing a common frustration at the disparity between what we see here in the perfect screening room, and what the majority of filmgoers will see in theaters.

"Is the darkness a concern?" asks [David] Tattersall, [Director of Photography,] though he's not talking about the content or events of Episode III. Rather, he's worried about how dark the film frame is, the density of the shadows. "Will that be a problem when it gets down to film?"

"No," assures McCallum. "But who knows when it gets to theaters."

It's a constant concern, having to compensate for poor theatrical conditions. With only about 200 digital theaters in North America, McCallum and Lucas realize that most people won't be able to see Episode III as they intended it.

"It's scary, but it'll get there," says Rick optimistically, before adding, "Say the movie opens at midnight on a Friday. By Saturday night, the picture's gone. The experience is gone." Such is the fragility of film and the relentless erosion of exhibition.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's scary, but it'll get there," says Rick optimistically, before adding, "Say the movie opens at midnight on a Friday. By Saturday night, the picture's gone. The experience is gone." Such is the fragility of film and the relentless erosion of exhibition.
Are you sure you got this from Starwars.com and not Joke.com? RIDICULOUS!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm sure.

I like George Lucas, and Rick McCallum, but frankly, I resent those statements.

Edit: Unless he's talking about our sister theater down the street, in which case, I agree with him.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2004 04:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those boys need to get their uninformed butts out to my theater. That comment is stupid anyway. Even if NOTHING is done to try and keep the presentation top notch, barring a misthread, EVERYONE's prints will look nice for the first couple of weeks.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-12-2004 07:29 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if they really feel that way, why don't they just release the movie in digital only?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused about the loss of resolution comment. [Confused]
Do they perhaps mean they are shooting with one resolution and recording the film at a lower resolution? Or was it a comment towards exhibitors?

--jhawk

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2004 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could care less if the film ever gets released. All of the last installments are pure crap anyway.

Mark

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Lucas had wanted to release Episode II in digital only, but obviously there were not enough venues for projection.

I don't know of any video projection system that can handle the 4000 line high-end digital format (I'm not sure if I have the terminology correct). The maximum I know of is 1280 pixels vertically. This is certainly much worse than film. So they can't be seeing their film in super high resolution. I believe that Kodak estimates that there are the equivalent of 13 million pixels on a 35mm frame. Since the grain is not in the same place on every frame, the average must be greater than this. (John can correct me if this is wrong).

I recently saw a couple of minutes of "Alexander" in DLP, and it looked awful. While I couldn't see the pixels, the detail of film was just not there. Further, the border between objects have an electronic look that makes the whole image look artificial.

Finally, barring scratches from platter mis-alignment, the projectors only handle the film by the edges, so there should be no image deterioration. The only problem might be wear on the SRD track (or ugh! SDDS). The new estar base films are very strong. So what the hell are the Lucas guys talking about? How could they be professionals and not notice these things? Hmm -- I wonder, --- is there another agenda here???

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than scratching, Lucasfilm is speaking of dirt on the film as deterioration.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-12-2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick McCallum's comments make him sound just like some of the dishonest sales droids I have encountered in various electronics stores. Some sales guys like flat out lie about product specifications and other items just to make a sale. And I have to wonder if Lucas Digital is getting some kind of a payment from companies like Texas Instruments to lie about the strengths and limits of film and video. They're obviously pushing the DLP thing.

If those guys really cared about having the very best image quality and presentation available, they would have filmed these Star Wars prequels on 65mm film and distributed a bunch of 70mm prints. I think the larger issue is the making money thing and tie-ins to consumer electronics, which is what the whole "digital projection" thing is realy about. It is just a slick way to sell more TVs. The sad thing is DLP is just not the best way to do it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear GOD will we ever be free of this interminable B-grade sci-fi drivel and the accompanying digital vs film babble that LucasFilm (FILM?!!) draged out before the release of each one of these dogs? I'll be a happy man when this final chapter is done an burried, and given the reviews and short life of the last one, the end to Ep III should be swift, albeit not quick enough for me.

As for the digital/film nonsense, it's the same tired, hackneed crap we have heard ever since SW Ep I, The Digital Menace; it's just gimmick their publicity dept used tried to jump start the media coverage. Hold a press conference....announce how concerned you are for the filmgoer and how digital is a gift from God, who, by-the-way speaks directly to George....digitally, of course. Funny, there was precious little talk in any of those press conferences about the actual MOVIE -- just about how their shitty film will look shitty on film in all those shitty theatres that didn't have the sense to spend $200,000 on a digital projector.

As for Lucas's "concern" about what the filmgoer is seeing in the theatre, again, I contend they couldn't care less, otherwise they wouldn't have booked it into theatres which time had forgot....you know, those that had, say MONO SOUND! It was all hype to get the media ball rolling. And the reason Lucas hardly ever spoke about his movie, was, methinks, that even he knew, as Mark so delicately put it, the last installments are pure crap . Hear hear.

Just like when Lucas held a press conference and announced to no one in particular and to the world in general (as if anyone gave a damn), that they absolutely wouldn't release Ep I to the drive-ins because they were "too far below Lucas's standards"....again this feigned concern about the filmgoer's experience didn't stop them from booking it into every rat-hole grind house across the country. Then, of course, after the film opened for a few weeks, Fox quietly booked it into any DI that would still play it, which was precious few because none of them held off booking other summer titles in the off-chance that Lucas would change his mind. Seems that once the press wasn't looking, DIs "low quality" no longer bothered Lucas -- to hell with the moviegoer -- this is CASH we are talking about, baby! Oh, and then the terms were so ridiculous -- the DIs couldn't play it with another feature (double features are part of the DI culture) and they had to hold it over for 18 weeks or something like that, no matter what business it was doing.

Winds up, they didn't care what it looked like to the view; they booked Star Wars in any hardtop dive or DI that would pay for it; they are no different than the rest of the Hollywood whores, only they are in low rez digital.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Jaro
I recently saw a couple of minutes of "Alexander" in DLP, and it looked awful.
I saw Alexander in 35mm, which was on Vision Premier 2393 film stock, and even though the movie sucked, it LOOKED awesome IMO.

Seems to me that Episode II was released on standard 2383 stock. While I agree with the 65mm/70mm comment, I would add that if they cared even a LITTLE BIT about the quality of the film version, they would release Episode III on 2393 stock. We'll see.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's shot in 24p Hi Def video, not in some ultra rez system just for originating for cinema. That's 1920 x 1080 but they are cropping to 2.39 : 1 so make that 1920 x (about) 803. Camera negative stock would easily blow that away and intermediate & print stocks, because they don't need great sensitivity, VASTLY exceed that resolution. So the comment is BS. And digital projection, once it is no longer a new toy, will suffer from dirty lenses and projection ports and other resolution killers as well.

The one thing they have done this time to improve image quality is to record using a system that isn't so laughably low in resolution as HDCam.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of quote makes me sick, because there are plenty of people in the world who look up to Lucas and his "people" and trust what they say. Many of them are just mindless droids, unfortunately.

Also, to add to the above comments, if they were AT ALL concerned about quality, they would never release the movie on video at all! Who knows, some people might play it on a 10-year-old 13" Zenith TV with poor color balance, and that just wouldn't be right!

It truly is all about the cash and ONLY about the cash. Count me as another who will be glad to see this crapola come to an end....although I still would bet $$$ that Lucas will have an epiphany in about 3 years and announce that there will be 3 more episodes to follow "Jedi."

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someplace back in my mind I recall that Lucas, 30 years ago when he actually was a filmmaker and story teller and not the self-appointed spokesperson for TI's nano-mirror technology, said he invisioned making Star Wars as a 9 (that's NINE, boys and girls) episode story.

Not if there's a truly Merciful God he won't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: