Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bridging two audio sources together into one NS input...doable? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bridging two audio sources together into one NS input...doable?
Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is embarrasing. Someone sabataged our booth a while back forcing us to run movies in that theater on a DVD player and LCD projector. Consequently, we're running the audio from the DVD into the NS input on the processor, leaving us with no input for the intermission music. I'm wondering if it is safe to bridge the cd player leads and the DVD player leads together onto the Non-Sync IN terminals...or would we need a small mixer to accomplish that.

Any comments most helpful (except mean ones.) [Big Grin]

-jackson

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-11-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically yes, but you may run into problems with grounding (buzzing). It is always best if you tell us what equipment you have (in this case, specifically which sound processor), there should be far more elegant solutions like using the external digital inputs for the DVD source.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 08:36 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my analougue house I have 2 non-syncs into a switching box with 1 outlet. (very simple) CP65

Digital houses have C.D. into non sync, DVD into 6 channel input CP650

Depends on equipment used

Nicholas Suchyta
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Email Nicholas Suchyta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can order or buy some Y cables. RatShak, i mean, Radio shack has them, you'll need to get 2 of them, they have one male connector and 2 female connectors, this is the cheapest way to do it without any interference. They're like $3 a piece. If they dont have them email me and i can get you them.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 02:21 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do just that on one of my houses with a basic AB switcher. works fine.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 04:19 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is off topic i suppose, but i'm very curious what the story is behind this "sabotage". i assume it's not just vandalism, but a deliberate act to disable the equipment. competition? former employee? do tell.

carl

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more curious as to know how they are getting DVD copies of the movies.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 04:45 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AB switches are your friend.

Heck you can buy a simple two position switch and solder away if you feel so inclined (and it has the proper operating specifications)

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 07:10 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jackson,

Do NOT bridge the outputs of two devices together with y connectors or any other way. While it might work, the outputs of most devices are not designed to work into the load impedance presented by the output of another device. Levels will be lowered and distortion may result.

Use an input selector switch of some kind such as can be found at Radio Shack.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 08:12 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full agreement with Oscar; earlier comments recommending you do this are inadvisable.

It is not safe to connect two outputs to a single input.
It is safe to connect a single output to two inputs, but that is not your situation.

It is even possible to damage equipment doing this, but invariably it will not sound as it should.

See Rane Technical Note #109: Why not Wye?.

--jhawk

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-12-2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, this theatre is subjecting its audience to a DVD quality image projected by an LCD quality projector.....why not introduce a little distortion in the sound to match the image degradation? I bet they don't reduce the ticket price....I bet they charge the same as if they were showing a real movie.

And does this theatre inform the public that they are paying top dollar for an inferior product? If they don't, I would think that would be considered fraud....selling a product without full disclosure and under false pretenses. Kind of like a merchant selling Gucci bags that were really made in Moldavia. Knock-off cinema.

And I am with Brad; where do they get DVDs of current theatrical releases? Inquisitive minds want to know.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah....and how did this "Force" you to place just DVDs...call a tech or something... [Roll Eyes]

Ken Russell
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2004 07:30 AM      Profile for Ken Russell   Email Ken Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just play the CD in the DVD player?

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the DVDs are pre show?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jackson Gilman
Someone sabataged our booth a while back forcing us to run movies in that theater on a DVD player and LCD projector.
sounds like movies to me...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: