Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spare parts in projection room

Author Topic: Spare parts in projection room
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all we have total 11 theatre where we have three diffrents Projectors installed.
I wanted help from all you experts in tearms of spare parts.
What are the common wear & tear parts of the projector & what all spare parts must be kept in a projection room.

The projector which we use are Strong, Monee & Christie.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-10-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always have at least two of every kind of drive belt you use.
Always have at least one of every kind of xenon lamp you use.
Always have plenty of each brand of projector oil you use.

After that, it's pretty much up to you to decide.

What parts do you replace most often?
How hard is it to get parts when you need them?

In my area I can get almost any part for my projector delivered by Federal Express by the next business day. If it's an emergency I can get weekend/holiday delivery if I want to pay extra for shipping.

You know these variables best.

What are the most critical parts that could put you out of business if they break?
How long will it take to get those parts if/when you need them.

Remember that a $2,000.000 intermittent sitting on the shelf for 2 years is considered a waste of money as far as your budget is concerned. That's money that could have been spent on payroll, to buy concession items, repair other items around the theater or just kept in the bank in case of emergency.

How much money are you willing to take out of your budget to spend on spare parts only to have them sit on a shelf and not be used?

Could you go back through your theater's records to see what was spent on replacement parts for the last year or two? IF you can, that would be valuable information to help you decide what spare parts to keep on hand.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter John Anthony. C
The projector which we use are Strong, Monee & Christie
Is the "Strong" a Simplex (most likely), a Century (maybe), or a Ballantyne (not very likely)? If it's a Century, then some parts are interchangeable with the Monee (a Century clone).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-10-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Randy said.

For Century projectors and soundheads, I'd start the list with:

- drive belts
- roundthane takup belts (if reel-to-reel)
- gate springs
- trap bands
- sprockets
- pad rollers
- uncut aperture plates (for special shows with weird formats, etc.)
- TU-235 gear grease
- damping fluid

General:

- oil for projectors/soundheads
- splicing tape
- splicer blades
- exciter bulbs
- xenon bulbs
- igniter for lamphouses
- diodes for rectifiers
- fuses for all equipment
- relays (if needed for automation or anything else)
- test loops: Dolby tone, RP40 (at minimum)

For Christie platters:

- motor control cards
- LED cards
- drive "pucks"

Plus, whatever else you seem to need to replace regularly.

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 05:33 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
{Is the "Strong" a Simplex (most likely), a Century (maybe), or a Ballantyne (not very likely)? If it's a Century, then some parts are interchangeable with the Monee (a Century clone).}

Hi Jon Miller,

We have 4 Simplex, 1 Ballantyne.

Thanks.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then that makes four different models of projectors you will need to stock specialty parts for, Peter. Since parts also vary between makes and models of lamphouses (or consoles) and platter systems, which models of these do you run?

If I was in your position, I would make a long-range goal to standardize the booth by replacing the "oddball" projectors as finances allow, to simplify operation and maintenance and to keep the spare parts inventory easier to manage. Standardization may be impossible for certain items (such as xenon lamps, whose wattage must be appropriate for the lamphouse and screen size, among other variables), but is still worthwhile. [thumbsup]

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Jon,
Projector lamp house & screen size will not match.

Anyways thanks to all of you for your kind reply.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: