Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ballantyne Pro 35 Shaking

Author Topic: Ballantyne Pro 35 Shaking
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I run press screenings as well as normal shows on the weekends at a change over house with 2 Ballantyne Pro 35 projectors. Lately I have noticed them being jumpy (vertically), one more so than the other. I read a couple of the posts I could find on this topic and couldn't really seeme to find a solution that worked. The weird thing is that when I run a movie in scope, like I did yesterday, it doesn't seem that bad. But when I run a flat film, like today, it has quite a bit of movement. Any ideas why it is worse on flat film? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-02-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the intermittent bobbin is worn out. Looks worse on flat because the magnification is greater.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you replace the coupler also replace the outer ball bearing... with exactly the same type!!
Constant using the framing adjustment eventually ruins those couplings......
Mark @ CLACO

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After you give it a new coupling assembly and outboard bearing, frame it with your RP-40, then REMOVE the framing handle.

Mine gives a damn fine picture since I gave it new parts; in fact, it's steadier than some projectors the megaplexes around here are using. Not a bad machine if the operator knows how to thread in frame.

danny

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was working on a PRO-35 with some shake in the picture, turned out to be a loose lense mount.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-05-2004 12:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's always a possibility. Projecting the top or bottom of the aperture on the screen to see if it's moving would be a way to determine for sure. But, when someone mentions Ballantyne and vertical unsteadiness... there's a high probability that its Achille's heel is once again the culprit.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tech friend of mine, who is well respected by everyone who knows him, interviewed at Disney World. He told a story of intense Pro-35 quizzing by the interviewer. With his many years of experience, he was able to answer all of the questions without trouble, but he was surprised by one topic. It seems that Disney does not use the coupler, but has a special version that uses some type of solid shaft connector. I assume this is due to the continuous loop systems Disney uses.

I always thought that Disney's film attractions had very steady pictures, although I have many complaints about their light levels on their multi-screen shows (i.e. Ellen's Energy Adventure, Reflections of China {Circlevision 360}).

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick update, got a tech to come look at it and it was indeed the coupler. Got it swapped out and it is running smoother now. Funny you should mention the Disney parts, because our owner just ordered those parts for our projectors so maybe we won't have this problem again for awhile. Thanks for the replys.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick Matthews
because our owner just ordered those parts for our projectors
In a normal theatre situation installing the Disnay Star Wheel is really a waste of good money that could be put to much better use otherwise. The Disney stars have a net of over 2K each! If you remove the framing knob and leave them alone those couplers will last a decade or more. Using the framing knob puts incredible strain on that coupler! Also stop to think how many service calls can be made (and there will be other calls made for other problems anyway) for just the price of one Disney Star.......

Mark @ CLACO

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
In a normal theatre situation installing the Disnay Star Wheel is really a waste of good money that could be put to much better use otherwise. The Disney stars have a net of over 2K each! If you remove the framing knob and leave them alone those couplers will last a decade or more. Using the framing knob puts incredible strain on that coupler! Also stop to think how many service calls can be made (and there will be other calls made for other problems anyway) for just the price of one Disney Star.......
This is true, but if our owner is that geeked about getting it he has to be getting a great deal on them because he payed next to nothing for the set up we have now.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick Matthews
This is true, but if our owner is that geeked about getting it he has to be getting a great deal on them because he payed next to nothing for the set up we have now.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Unless a dealer happens to have Disney Stars laying around(highly unlikey in view of their value)that he wants to unload its going to be awfully expensive.... and then you have to pull each movement out and tear it down.... if the new star is webbed and the old ones aren't then other parts have to be machined for proper clearance and still that dam outer bearing is still going to fail on occasion.

As for Ballantyne booths... at one time we had so many laying around taking up room that we scrapped them out for the parts. This has been handy on many occasions. Older Ballantynes can cost more for parts and rebuild labor than they are worth on the used market. But they are pretty good machines when all is working.

Mark @ CLACO

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-09-2004 01:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good answer: take the framing levers off and make sure that the booth personnel threads in frame. That'll save on the wear and tear on those couplers. (but, that won't work due to too many complaints from the personnel..but it's a quick way for them to learn how to do it right if the one in charge has to be mean in making operational procedures are followed..)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: