Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lume-X Striking Problem

Author Topic: Lume-X Striking Problem
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 04:55 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a month ago my Lume-X was striking way too many times before the xenon would operate.The lamp had done over 2000 hours so i installed a new xenon.The amount of striking went from 15-20 down to 2-3 before the xenon would operate.Then the problem seem to get worse again So I bit the bullet and put the safety gear on and switched the lamp on with the cover open.I could see arcing between a few wires at the back of the lamphouse.So I replaced the wires with heavier guage/thicker insulation wire.The problem wires were the two going to the amp guage on the back of the lamphouse and one going to a metal box with two large solder connections next to the "striking circuit".From that point on all was well,lamp would operate in 1-2 strikes.
This morning i come in to start the first show and it seems to be back with the same problem-way too many strikes.Could it be that by moving the old wiring I'm just creating more problems?Any advice would be much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2004 05:52 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One possibility is contamination/dust on the wires or terminal connection blocks. They may have some conductivity to the high voltage ignition, especially in humid conditions. Vacuum any dust, and clean the insulators/insulation with pure isopropyl alcohol. Don't forget proper safety procedures: xenon handling safety gear and "lock out, tag out" of power.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2004 07:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a plagueing common problem with these lamphouses. Its obvious that the HV either isn't making it to the lamp electrode or that the lamp is bad(open). I've seen HV arc to just about every point inside these lamphouses over the years. Some of the new ignitors will arc right thorugh the black casing the ignitor is in. Unfortunately this problem never been fully resolved by the manufacturer.... you just have to do what ever works in your situation to get it to work. Its actually still manufactured and used on the Super(?) Trooper spotlight. Efen a new DC ignitir won't cure this problem as you will end up with a whole new set of problems. Good Luck with it!

Mark

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually struck a lamp with the lamphouse open....besides the normal safety equipment, what do you wear? I'm guessing a welder's mask and possibly some SPF 1,000,000?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 12:31 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem from time to time with my Kneisley lamphouse's. I've found that taking all HV connections off and cleaning them up good with emery cloth every couple of years does wonders for starting problems.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-02-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check also the noload voltage of the rectifier and also check and make sure the filter caps are still good those little lamphouse need to be able to dump a lot of current at a fairly high noload voltage to make them strike

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-03-2004 06:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
I've never actually struck a lamp with the lamphouse open....besides the normal safety equipment, what do you wear?
 -

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the thing strike OK when you use the manual strike button ? I have had one where the open cct DC was low, around 85VDC, such that the instant the ignitor started to strike the voltahe dropped just enough to pull thr strike relay out. Manual strike worked OK. If this is the case there's a zener diode than can be changed in the lamphouse..

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
regretably the Lumex ignitor has no manual strike capability

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 03:31 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon

Apols - thought it was a Super Lumex. No emergency strike button - what a pain !

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a pain: our CX20H wasn't striking the other day. Oddly, the discharge sound was coming from the top corner, where I knew full well there was no lamp. Turns out the flexible anode had got a bit too close to the manual douser. A through cleaning of the power leads couldn't go amiss, if it's not a case of a lead being too close to ground, it could be that because of a poor connection it's easier for the HV to ground through something other than the bulb.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Its actually still manufactured and used on the Super(?) Trooper spotlight.
Mark: So, is the ignitor board for a Lumex lamphouse still available NEW? Thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: