Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone have a RCA soundhead thread pattern? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Anyone have a RCA soundhead thread pattern?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my new booths, we are running ShittyPECO platters, strong lamphouses, Century SA projectors, and RCA soundheads..

I can thread everything up(I haven't yet because I havent worked a shift yet) by memory since I used this equipment @ Carmike, but I never threaded a RCA soundhead before. Does anyone have a schematic that shows the thread pattern?

Thanks

Richard

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-01-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I call those things "boat anchors"...and there are 5 RCA soundhead manuals in the manual section available for you to download and peruse. [Wink]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:36 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad, Cruising the manuals section now [Smile]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call them "oil pissers".
Such a shame that people put nice Century's on top of them.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such prejudice against older equipment. [Razz]

I have a pair of RCA MI-1040's (from 1936) and a pair of MI- 9030's (from around 1942) that I've rebuilt for home use. They don't leak. Just replace the gaskets and bearings every 20 years or so and be very careful how much oil you pour into them. The other trick is to use seal screws in any threaded hole that goes into the gear box. Like any other piece of hardware, a lot depends on how you treat it. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Lawrence
Like any other piece of hardware, a lot depends on how you treat it.

True, but no matter how perfect of condition your soundhead is, those models still have the "dirt embedder roller", which damages film. Hence the term "boat anchor", because that's what they are good for. [Razz]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Can't those rollers be replaced? I know they are similar on the SH1000 which I have at home and after I replaced it I had no more issues with picture area getting worn from it. Also, a filmcleaner with FilmGuard helps quite a bit from keeping the dust off the film which would eventually get embedded in that thing.

Tho granted, if I had my choice, I would use a soundhead that didn't have that 'pinch'roller.

--Chris

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-02-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it was a questionable idea to begin with but how bad are they really? I've never had any problems with this design whether RCA, old Simplex, or new Simplex, but then I'm not running prints endlessly. Are you saying every such theatre (and there must have been and are many thousands of them) ended up with marred prints after a long run? Maybe nowadays few would notice but I'd bet in the days of single screeners and fulltime professional projectionists with little to do over the course of each reel they would notice every difference from run to run.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not an immediately seen thing. It does take some passes, but in theaters where there are projectors with and without that pinch roller, the prints ran on the ones that had it always had nice embedded dirt patterns. Some people claim this isn't so, but clearly they aren't very picky, or maybe their screen illumination levels aren't all that great (so the image is bright enough to see), but film damage IS happening.

Yes running the film cleaner with FG will make it such that the roller doesn't matter, but honestly how many people diligently do this? The complaint here is the design.

I have modified many 5 Star soundheads to eliminate this roller. I actually got around to taking some pictures of the modification earlier this year. Not sure if I posted them or not, but I'm sure I have them on my office computer. I'll upload a couple. Besides the obvious benefit to the film, the other nice thing is once modified, it's a done deal forever. There are no parts to wear. You can't do it on those old RCA/SH-1000 type of soundheads though.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-02-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really understood the 5-Star design (and I own two). Tension and pressure roller? Is that like belt and suspenders? What's the logic? The Simplex 10XX and RCA designs divided the function of pulling film through the soundhead and take-up holdback between two sprockets but other than that the major difference is the solid flywheel on the 5-Star instead of the old fluid-damped one. Not sure if that account for the need to combine both techniques.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has Century C's on top of RCA 1040 with the nasty rollers, they are segmented foam/rubber, not just one flat roller. On the rare occasion we recieve a new print, after only a week, or 14 shows, during breakdown the "track marks" on the emulsion from that roller can be clearly seen. I haven't seen any damage show up on screen, but it's obviously abrading the film.

Hopefully the RCAs will die soon and they'll get me some used Century soundheads. [thumbsup] Damn things have been running since 1947! I'll take a photo of the threading pattern on it tonight at work.

Below is the pic of the 5-Star modification.
 -  -

As promised, pics of the RCA 1040 threading pattern and roller. For use with a Century, close the pinch roller on the film, then pull it taught to the first soundhead sprocket, then back off two perfs. This gives the you the slack lower constant feed to the sound drum.
 -

As you can see, these can't be modified. If you took out the rubber bit, the flanges would cup the film over the edge of the sounddrum, yuck! On the Simplex 5-star, see above, the inboard flange rests against the inner part of the drum.
Below are the "track marks" these icky things make.
 -
 -

[ 12-03-2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Dan Lyons ]

Ian Joseph Parfrey
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Ian Joseph Parfrey   Email Ian Joseph Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few points to consider when "dissing" the RCA soundheads of old.

Many of you are bitching about the roller that is in contact with the film and the resulting "track marks" let by that dirt embedded roller and the fact that it is in contact with the film's picture area. Judging by the disgusting interior condition of that soundhead I'm not surprised that oil and shit is ending up on the film! Oil attracts dirt like the plague. Now, whether or not there is a full contact roller, that oil will eventually find it's way through the roll (platter or spool) and there is where you'll find oil mottling.... and THAT is going embed more dirt and cause more film damage than any roller.
And as oil attracts dirt, air-borne or otherwise, when the flm travels to and from the projector head, dirt is gunna stick like glue.

So you're complaining about those soundheads running since the 1940's????
This has got to be the first time of heard anyone complaining about a reliable bit of gear!!!AND you want the thing to shit itself so you can get a Century s/head. WOW.... and I do mean WOW is what you're gona get if you junk the RCA's for Century's.
Century make BRILLIANT projectors but the s/heads SUCK...SUCK...SUCK

RCA's with the double loose loop and mag-coupled flywheel have the lowest wow/flutter ratio in existance, why else would sound camera designs use similar methods????? And I'll bet 60 years after their manufacture they'll STILL have great specs.
I'm not one for waving the flag for all things American, but DAMN, those RCA guys nailed that design on the head, they knew their stuff and credit must be given where credit is due.
I'd be proud to have a bit of gear like the RCA's. (Incedently, I do have a pair of 1018-F's that do leave a bit to be desired)
So don't knock a bit of gear just because it's old and projectionists are too damn lazy to keep things CLEAN.
[Mad]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there was an I-30 in Australia! [Eek!]

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, a Century projector head was mentioned...and I am working on one and need some input: I have a Century C and I am missing one of the thumbscrews that hold the exterior plate over the gear-side base or the projector head. The steel plate is mostly cosmetic but I want to replace the missing thumbscrew. I tried to find something acceptable (like a hex head screw) at the hardware store and have found that neither of the threads they offer (coarse-20 or fine-28) will work on what essentially is a 1/4" diam. screw. Darned if the mfr (Century) hadn't made up their own thread count. It must lie somewhere between 20 and 28... can anyone advise (short of contacting a dealer for a replacement part)?

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Joseph Parfrey
So don't knock a bit of gear just because it's old and projectionists are too damn lazy to keep things CLEAN.

Watch your mouth sweetie, no need to insult me like that. [Razz]

I keep those machines clean. The film path is spotless. What you're seeing is 50 years of oil stains and worn off paint.
I never said anything about oil on the film; none gets on my film , ever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: