Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SPECO Brain Wrap Rollers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SPECO Brain Wrap Rollers
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tired of the brain wrap rollers on my LP-270's leaving scratches on my adverts/first trailer. Most of them have come loose at least once in my time in the booth and required me to reattach them at the least convienient times possible.

Is there another SPECO part I can substitute for these so film running against them will not scratch? Can I go without them altogether? Or do I just have to live with these pests?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rollers around the brain have always been a pet peeve of mine, inparticularly when they are not the proper height to do any good and only cause damage! (Try explaining this to non-projectionists who design the equipment though.)

I am assuming you have the newer LP270s with the clusterfuck of a brain design, as opposed to the nice simple design of the past. Can you verify this? Do you have one or two rollers on the takeup elevator?

Try threading things up and "overspinning" the payout platter exactly 1/2 turn with things threaded and ready to start, and having the takeup platter's elevator roller as low as it can go without the motors trying to spin. That will force the platter into the smoothest start it is capable of with an average ramp-up on the projector (such as a Simplex).

Remember the LP270 has 3 speeds in that payout arm.

1. Off
2. Speed of takeup elevator
3. Full throttle

Essentially what you are trying to do is ensure that the takeup elevator roller(s) are as low as they get on startup just as the payout arm starts to move from "off" to "speed of takeup". This will get that payout platter spinning fast enough on it's own that you won't scratch the first stretch of film on the roll (assuming typical 8 second douser open timer is being used).

And of course never, ever do anything stupid like running soundtrack down! [Roll Eyes] That's a scratch guarantee for the first thing on the roll when using LP270s.

=============

A much better solution is to have your technician increase the douser open timing on your automations. Many have an adjustment that can extend that 8 second douser open relay to 20 seconds. That's enough to not worry about what the LP270 is doing on startup, because it will only be scratching the leader. (Of course try explaining this to some tech set in his ways who thinks the automation can't function properly if not set to 8 seconds. [Roll Eyes] )

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Yes, I have the clusterfuck brains and the two roller elevator design.

I can understand the benefit of the position of the elevator rollers, which you described. And while I do see some trailers being scratched as the takeup gets up to running speed, I have more problems with film getting wound too tight during threading. Should I thread slower as I reach the end of the leader? We use the Maxi 12XPC automation, but even if the system can extend the douser open timing any longer, our leaders are only 60'. That may be the ultimate issue, but I doubt management is going to approve any more purchase orders for leader. [Frown] I think our tech wouldn't have a problem extending the douser, though.

And soundtrack facing has never been a problem at Lakeville. That's one of the first techniques that I burn into the memory of all new hires [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you may need to implement a policy where once the projectionist gets to the takeup elevator when threading, he/she slows down to let the payout catch up. Still any way you slice it, longer leaders are the solution. Just attach a stretch of junk trailers/green bands or something to the beginning of your leaders.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-29-2004 11:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working in a booth with Specos I developed the unconscious habit of starting the projector and giving the payout platter a push with my other hand.

That habit has stuck with me to this day. Whenever I start a projector (with platter) I always keep one eye on the film as it enters the brain to make sure it isn't "strangling" before the platter gets up to speed.

This is/was especially important to do on really large prints that took extra time to come up to speed.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
When I was working in a booth with Specos I developed the unconscious habit of starting the projector and giving the payout platter a push with my other hand.
That is what I have been doing for 20+ years during the 7 seconds I am waiting for the picture to hit the screen and have never scratched the first preview

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 05:24 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I guess I've been fortunate with my LP-270s throughout the years, both old and new. The only payout motor problems I've had have been with the newer ones, and those have been sporadic at most.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The immediate push technique was standard procedure in our old training manual that I dug out of storage. That was about a year and a half, ago. While that would be an excellent solution, our platters are situated on the non-operating side and I doubt any of the staff would agree to the extra work [Frown]

I'll see if I can implement the addition of part of a trailer to the leaders, but the guys who've been in my booth for awhile tend to reject that sort of change [Frown]

Worth a try, anyways!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-30-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current booth has the platter on the driver's side. I can push the button with my left hand and give the platter a push with my right.

At Cinemark, the platters were all on the opposite side. You stood behind the lamphouse, pushed the button with the right hand and spun the platter with the left.

No matter what the arrangement of your equipment, you should have plenty of time to get up to the front of the machine to check the picture. You shouldn't really need to worry about focus and framing very much. You SHOULD have your projector in frame when it starts.

Besides, it forces you to make one last look at the film before you go starting the projector. You have one last chance to fix any unforseen problems before you hit that button.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 09:02 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another problem are the way those magnets are secured, sometimes they move and you have to put them back into position with your hand (but turn the power off first [Eek!] ).

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
At Cinemark, the platters were all on the opposite side. You stood behind the lamphouse, pushed the button with the right hand and spun the platter with the left.

Here is the true professional. He is willing to help the platter start no matter how much work it is.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the 2 bigger theaters I've worked at I ordered longer leaders.
At the indie house that was too poor to buy new leaders I used green bands. Worked just fine.
We had Potts platters there.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,
No, I don't have to worry about focus, framing, etc... But sadly, a few recent hires still do. I'm going to discuss the plan of longer leaders with my boss, tomorrow. If I do get the plan implemented, I'll probably have to deal with the whining of a few coworkers. Not like it'd be the first issue they've hated anyway. [Roll Eyes]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can feel for you there, Steve.
The best thing to do is fight them till they give in and accept that your way is better. I had to do that with covering prints at night.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 01:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, a piece of Mongolian Clusterfuk for sure (lol). Yet the Lp-270's that I worked with at a 4plex back in the late 80's, ran real smooth. Just the MUT was a POS! Clutch dog design was something else..

Once an easily make film wraps with a good piece of film, preferably clear, and use a clothes pin. Wrap the film around the outside of the film wind on the platter, making sure that the film wrap overlaps each other and secure with a clothes pin. I'm sure that practically everyone here, one time or another, has used this with 35, 70mm, 15/70 IMAX or 8/70 SuperScreen operations, or is using this technique to keep the film roll end from getting loose during the rotation of the platter.

Suction cups and "platter pucks"....whatever floats your boat.

Sometimes when I have to readjust the platter speed, I would readjusted the height of the motor drive shaft rubber-tire thingeys when a groove was getting in them from running on the edge of the platter. I always, when putting on a new drive tire on the motor, is to have it down as far as possible on the motor shaft, so I can have at least 2 inches of vertical adjustment play if needed when wear occurs. This could be the problem with the "trombone" not picking up the film fast enough, or the "trombone" spirial thingey, that is attached to the rheostat isn't timed correctly with the spirial relationship to the rheostat(been a long time since I've worked on LP-270's, so please forgive me of my proper part naming..), and opening late.

And, what was weird, with the topics of concern on winding soundtrack down with these platters is that we always ran soundtrack down to prevent scratching, whereas the other way would created them. Just those 8-pin plug-in diode units in the pushbutton control console I have to be concerned about-they short out and the fuses blow in the base.

Course, we know why of the rollers on the Strong brains..AW3(R)'s has the better idea.

thx-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: